Old brooker trailer

will_l

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at possibly picking up a boat from port Stephens this weekend however the boat is on a pretty shot brooker trailer. It has some serious rust issues at the rear of the trailer and I'll be upgrading it as soon as I get home but I'm a little worried about the drive home. The wheels are those classic looking small rims with those thick tires. The seller said the bearings had been replaced but are there any precautions for the trip home. The boat is a 445f with a 70 2 stroke yam, the trailer is a brooker 14t. Does the weight of the boat and motor match what the trailer is made for? I can't find much info on the '14t'. What speed should I be going? What should I look out for when driving with it?
Any help would be great,
Thanks a lot,
Will

Edited by will_l

Will. Not sure what you mean with " thick tires " .

The rust at rear of the trailer will not matter for the drive home, make sure the tyres are properly inflated and are NOT perished.

What I mean by that is have a look around the tyres and make sure they are not all cracked up and still feel like rubber.

If the tyres are starting to feel/look like leather, than the trip may be a bit much for them, try and take a spare, if you don't have a spare

I would more than likely have one here that would match whatever the type fitted, brooker should be HG Holden pattern, with 5 studs

IF it's the rims without studs, I still should have a spare to help you out, PM me for address.

Try and keep your speed to around 80 k's max, and stop about every 10/15 minutes and feel the hubs to see IF they are getting hot,

IF they are too hot to hold your hand on them for 10 seconds, you have problems, if they are cool it's likely you could go faster.

Good luck and take some photos of the boat and show us.

Frank

Will. Not sure what you mean with " thick tires " .

The rust at rear of the trailer will not matter for the drive home, make sure the tyres are properly inflated and are NOT perished.

What I mean by that is have a look around the tyres and make sure they are not all cracked up and still feel like rubber.

If the tyres are starting to feel/look like leather, than the trip may be a bit much for them, try and take a spare, if you don't have a spare

I would more than likely have one here that would match whatever the type fitted, brooker should be HG Holden pattern, with 5 studs

IF it's the rims without studs, I still should have a spare to help you out, PM me for address.

Try and keep your speed to around 80 k's max, and stop about every 10/15 minutes and feel the hubs to see IF they are getting hot,

IF they are too hot to hold your hand on them for 10 seconds, you have problems, if they are cool it's likely you could go faster.

Good luck and take some photos of the boat and show us.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks a lot for that. Thankfully the trailer comes with a spare but thanks for the offer. I've attached a picture of the trailer post-36089-0-91704900-1462492731_thumb.png. The tires have also been listed as recently replaced and the pre-inspection report of the boat said that they were ok so hopefully thats all good. I think sticking to around 80 sounds good as well. However one thing I missed was that the trailer doesn't have any brakes :(. What would you estimate the weight of the boat + 70 2 stroke + trailer be? I'll make sure to take out all fuel, anchor etc and put it in the boot. I know it doesn't decrease the overall load on the cars brakes but hopefully I'd be able to get under the 750kg unbraked limit? Tow car is a captiva diesel with 1700kg towing, however I'm more concerned about going down hill? Should I try and use hill decent or just a low, consistent pressure on the brakes?

Thanks a lot,

Will

Edited by will_l

Hi Frank,

Thanks a lot for that. Thankfully the trailer comes with a spare but thanks for the offer. I've attached a picture of the trailer Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 9.57.40 am.png. The tires have also been listed as recently replaced and the pre-inspection report of the boat said that they were ok so hopefully thats all good. I think sticking to around 80 sounds good as well. However one thing I missed was that the trailer doesn't have any brakes :(. What would you estimate the weight of the boat + 70 2 stroke + trailer be? I'll make sure to take out all fuel, anchor etc and put it in the boot. I know it doesn't decrease the overall load on the cars brakes but hopefully I'd be able to get under the 750kg unbraked limit? Tow car is a captiva diesel with 1700kg towing, however I'm more concerned about going down hill? Should I try and use hill decent or just a low, consistent pressure on the brakes?

Thanks a lot,

Will

Hi mate,that rig will be over the 750kg limit allowed for towing without brakes for sure.

My tinny is a 4.2 with a 30hp and weighs 550kg as per weighbridge certificate.

Towing it on the road without brakes will be illegal.

As for towing anything, wether your vehicle is auto/manual use a low gear when going up or down grades with brakes applied sparingly when needed and stay out of overdrive.

Hi mate,that rig will be over the 750kg limit allowed for towing without brakes for sure.

My tinny is a 4.2 with a 30hp and weighs 550kg as per weighbridge certificate.

Towing it on the road without brakes will be illegal.

As for towing anything, wether your vehicle is auto/manual use a low gear when going up or down grades with brakes applied sparingly when needed and stay out of overdrive.

Damn, so it will be over the limit. I thought the hull of the 445 is 400kg + 160kg trailer + 110kg motor. Obviously there will be some electronics, wiring etc things I cant take out but with no fuel, no oars, no anchor, no downrigger etc and putting all that in the car, there wouldn't be an extra 100kg of stuff I cant see could there? I've never taken a boat to the weighbridge.

Thanks a lot Fab,

Will

Found an old post from on here

Quote "the all up weight of a Haines Hunter 445R with a 70HP (most came with a 70HP Johnson/Evinrude) and a trailer would be 700-800KG. If it has been upgraded to the V4 and I have run a few like this and they go great with a V4 than you would be still under 900KG."

Is there a local Tip or weigh station you can drive it too to check the weight prior to leaving?

Edit

Here you go:http://www.portstephens.nsw.gov.au/your-council/council-venues/salamander-bay-waste-transfer-station

They will weigh you in and out, pull up out of the way, speak nicely to the operator and you should be able to pull up and get the weigh.

P.p.s

Drain all the water from it and also strap it down so the boat doesn't bounce and put extra weight on the trailer.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Found an old post from on here

Quote "the all up weight of a Haines Hunter 445R with a 70HP (most came with a 70HP Johnson/Evinrude) and a trailer would be 700-800KG. If it has been upgraded to the V4 and I have run a few like this and they go great with a V4 than you would be still under 900KG."

Is there a local Tip or weigh station you can drive it too to check the weight prior to leaving?

Edit

Here you go:http://www.portstephens.nsw.gov.au/your-council/council-venues/salamander-bay-waste-transfer-station

They will weigh you in and out, pull up out of the way, speak nicely to the operator and you should be able to pull up and get the weigh.

P.p.s

Drain all the water from it and also strap it down so the boat doesn't bounce and put extra weight on the trailer.

Ok, will do that.

However, would you think I'd be taking a serious chance if it came out at 800-825kg (50-75kg over the legal limit). I'd hate to go all the way up there for it to be 50 kg too heavy. I know it'd still be technically illegal but would the car be able to handle it (dropping gears going down hill instead of braking) for a single trip?

Thanks a lot,

Will

Ok, will do that.

However, would you think I'd be taking a serious chance if it came out at 800-825kg (50-75kg over the legal limit). I'd hate to go all the way up there for it to be 50 kg too heavy. I know it'd still be technically illegal but would the car be able to handle it (dropping gears going down hill instead of braking) for a single trip?

Thanks a lot,

Will

If in doubt i would measure the width of the trailer and hire a car trailer from your home / local service station, drive up and bring the whole shooting match home like that, spend the $110 to hire the trailer for 9hrs,

That way you are legal and you should avoid or reduce the chance of

- the risk of a unknown trailer,

- the risk of being uninsured if you have an accident,

- the risk of a hefty fine and demerit points if the cops get you or the RMS, it will also add to your next rego renewal as well

- injuring yourself or a innocent motorist

- being on the side of the road for hours waiting for a Tow that will cost more than the hire fee.

P.s

Take plenty of tie down straps, if you need to borrow some i am in Parra area.

Edited by jeffb5.8

If in doubt i would measure the width of the trailer and hire a car trailer from your home / local service station, drive up and bring the whole shooting match home like that, spend the $110 to hire the trailer for 9hrs,

That way you are legal and you should avoid or reduce the chance of

- the risk of a unknown trailer,

- the risk of being uninsured if you have an accident,

- the risk of a hefty fine and demerit points if the cops get you or the RMS, it will also add to your next rego renewal as well

- injuring yourself or a innocent motorist

- being on the side of the road for hours waiting for a Tow that will cost more than the hire fee.

P.s

Take plenty of tie down straps, if you need to borrow some i am in Parra area.

Thats a good idea but looking at the websites for the places that hire them out, the trailer's seems to be about 500-800kg tare and also state the car needs a 2t + towing capacity. Also I cant tow anything more then 250 kg tare unfortunately.

Thanks a lot,

Will

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at possibly picking up a boat from port Stephens this weekend however the boat is on a pretty shot brooker trailer. It has some serious rust issues at the rear of the trailer and I'll be upgrading it as soon as I get home

Or you might leave it up there, get the new trailer first, and do the trailer swap at pickup.

To be honest, I don't think I'm going to trailer it down at all. And unfortunately I can't tow a car trailer as on my p's I can only tow 250kg tare. The guy has offered to drive it down from port but for $500. If anyone knows somebody that'd be interested in driving to port and picking it up let me know. Or does anyone know the approx price for a u-ship?

Thanks a lot,

Will

Hi , unless you have your heart set on a brand new trailer another option is to speak to the guy your buying from and see if he can organise a quote to have the trailer overhauled, including installation of brakes, new tyres, wheel bearings ,check lights and wiring and fix the rust and have it checked so it complies with your states road laws.

It will add dollars to the purchase price but may work out as

a cheaper option in the long run as you know this trailer suits the boat and there's no head aches associated with towing it home. Best of luck.

Cheers.

Will. See your PM's.

If you say you can't tow anything beyong 250kg then the boat you are buying is more than that so why the questions ?.

Frank

Replied to PM.

The seller is bringing the boat down as we speak. Hoping to take for a test spin tommorow and will post some pictures

On you P1's you can tow 250kg tare. So the trailer by itself has to weigh less then 250kg regardless of the load. I'd assume the boat is on a 150-200 kg trailer. The new trailer should be around 250kg.

Thanks a lot for the help guys,

Will

Hi , unless you have your heart set on a brand new trailer another option is to speak to the guy your buying from and see if he can organise a quote to have the trailer overhauled, including installation of brakes, new tyres, wheel bearings ,check lights and wiring and fix the rust and have it checked so it complies with your states road laws.

It will add dollars to the purchase price but may work out as

a cheaper option in the long run as you know this trailer suits the boat and there's no head aches associated with towing it home. Best of luck.

Cheers.

Thought about that but adding up all the cost's I dont think its worth it and it'd need an upgrade in the next few months anyway (serious rust issues)