My old boat

Sea Ranger

Greetings all,

I have a 10 foot tinny that I bought in 2007. ;I used it a bit and then parked her in the garage for the last 8 years or so. So now my son is keen on fishing and his grandfather now in a care home wants to fish as well so I thought I would resurrect my little boat.

Problem 1.

Unfortunately I let the rego on the trailer lapse. The trailer is a bit rusty but looks sound enough. It is a small handmade job. Really kinda small for the 10ft tinny but that is how it came. I'm going to go have a look at a place that does blue slips to see what they require but wondering if anyone else has tried to re register an older trailer and if fixing it up was cost effective.

Problem 2

My tinny had a few leaks in her that got sealed with silicone before I owned her. I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not. ; Is welding aluminum patches cost effective? I'd have to pay someone to do that. Do I need to register a 10 foot boat with 4hp motor these days? It was unclear when I was on the maritime website.

Problem 3

The motor has not been used and just sitting those years in my garage. I have now taken the motor in for a service and so far so good with it.

I'm debating with myself how much cash to throw at this boat or look at something else. It is going to be used mainly as an estuary fishing boat for 2 or 3 people.

It was good last time I used it but it has sat unused for a number of years. The trailer is probably the biggest concern.Obviously my decision but just curious if others have done similar

Thank you for any advice
Bear

Edited by Noo2OzFish

Weather u use it or sell it , the trailer will need to registered & the boat , boat coded .

A 4 hp motor is unlikely to push the boat along at over 10 knots which is the maxium u can do before the boat needs to be registered & the driver licenced

Welding is preferred but there are products around that will give u a short term fix

The motor , set it up with the flusher on the leg , some fresh fuel & give it a go , if it starts & runs ok yr in business , if it wont start then that is a different story

For those buying old unregistered boats or if you happen to own one. In NSW Boat coding is required when getting registered. Technically all boats should be boat coded in some way to protect from theft. The boat code is a plate fixed to your hull. There is one obvious plate found somewhere near the transom, inboard or outboard. There will be a second one which will be 'hidden' If you are planning on putting a 6hp or over motor on your vessel then in accordance with NSW RMS you will need to get it registered.

If you purchased a boat that has not been registered in years but still has the HIN on it then you simply get this re validated by an appointed boat code agent (see this link for details http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/registration/boatcode/boatcode-agents.html). It is recommended that if buying a second hand unregistered boat you do a PPSR check on it. It will cost around $3, and gives you an indication whether there is an interest recorded on the HIN or not.

Ensure that you have a stat Dec stating you own the boat as well as a receipt if applicable. If the hull has no HIN then you simple present a stat dec aswell and then you will get a new code, plate and official validation. If the HIN they revalidate comes up with an interest (stolen, encumbered) then the boat you just purchased may be repossesed and you could be responsible. Have a receipt to cover your self.

If your planning on putting around in a 4hp I do not think waterways will be to worried with you. How ever if they do pull you up they will most likely either breathalyse you if they have a copper, check for life jackets and safety equipment and if fisheries is on board check your licence. They wont be checking you for speeding because you have a 4hp lol.

Some good info there for you to start with.

With the outboard you will likley need to replace the spark plug, all rubber fuel lines, bulb and fuel filter, after sitting that long the impeller

will need replacing too and lowler leg oil. The carbie will proberly be gunked up making it hard to start and or run so will need a carbie kit

in it too.

I got an old trailer registered a while ago.

I had to take it and get it weighed then

took it to a trailer shop who asked if it was made before a certain date.

It was so they just stamped a new number on it and I was good to go

with rego at the RTA. I think it was less that $150. Trailer was in good condition. It had

a hobi cat style boat on it.

As for the boat,

from: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/registration/get-nsw-registration.html

The following vessels must be registered with Roads and Maritime when occupying NSW navigable waters:

• Power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5 horsepower)

Also, if you go faster than 10 knots, you need a license.

Can't answer the other questions, but make sure you have a phone and a set of oars

while you discover how reliable your engine is!

Edited by antonywardle