Where to get nippers in Hawkesbury or Central Coast

seasponge

Can anyone recommend a spot to pump nippers in either the Hawkesbury or Central Coast, that is accessible both with and without a boat.

Ideally I'd like to find a spot I can drive and/or walk to to get them before going out on the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys.

You can get nippers at the end of petit st ettalong or Gosford end of paddys channel.
Good luck Tim

I tried at Petit Street at Ettalong. I walk the beach from the boathouse around to the first jetty heading back round towards RIp Bridge. I didn't find any sign of nippers at all, though the place was plagued with Soldier Crabs. I ended up grabbing a load of the crabs to try as bait, first time. Caught a couple of bream on them but they weren't as productive a bait as I was hoping they'd be. Where at that spot do you normally get the nippers, and do they co-exist with the crabs? There were no small nipper holes, and i did a bit of pumping but came up with nothing.

Down along the waterfront of Hardy's Bay (Brisbane Waters) nippers are available!

Thanks for that. Will give that a go next time. Do nippers go quiet over winter or are they available all year round?

Thanks for the reply guys.

I tried at Petit Street at Ettalong. I walk the beach from the boathouse around to the first jetty heading back round towards RIp Bridge. I didn't find any sign of nippers at all, though the place was plagued with Soldier Crabs. I ended up grabbing a load of the crabs to try as bait, first time. Caught a couple of bream on them but they weren't as productive a bait as I was hoping they'd be. Where at that spot do you normally get the nippers, and do they co-exist with the crabs? There were no small nipper holes, and i did a bit of pumping but came up with nothing.

Did you try high or low tide

I usually walk out a bit.have always got them there

I'll go down this weekend or next and have a look.

Will let you know how I go

Tim

Thanks for that. Will give that a go next time. Do nippers go quiet over winter or are they available all year round?

If nippers are in the sand, they will be available all year round.

If it is a very low tide, nippers will be harder to pump out as the sand dries out a bit more, and the nippers may be a little deeper. I find it best (when I pump them out at Maianbar in Port Hacking) to try when the water is just starting to cover the area you are pumping, as the water gives a bit of lubrication to the pump internals, rather than low tide sand that is a bit dry.

I went at low tide and walked the whole place. It was so covered in soldier crabs. There were holes everywhere but they all looked too big for nippers and would have been the crabs.