Juno Point (Hawkesbury River)

Brew

Hi All,

A bit late however I got out with a mate again last Friday night at Juno Point.

My mate was only going to make it late afternoon so I thought I would first drag a few lures around and headed out of Broken Bay towards Boultons Reef. Water was 20.2 degrees and there were no birds or anything breaking the water except a large pod of dolphins around Barrenjoey Head.

The conditions were flat and very comfortable. Got to love this weather.

post-31230-0-74696100-1463466473_thumb.jpg

After Boultons headed north past a couple of wrecks and then up to Kilcare wide then back to Broken Bay via East and West Reef. Unfortunately not too much around.

Once back in Broken Bay went over to West Head to get some yakkas for the fish later that night. There is a heap there at the moment but quite small and not that easy to catch. Didn't help that a moron on his jetski came up at about 60km an hour and stopped about 2 metres away from my boat asking for directions to Mooney Mooney! Seriously, some of those guys have no idea. I should have told him there was a short cut up Patonga Creek.

Anyway, got 7 yakkas in about 45 mins, picked up my mate and headed to Juno Point.

We anchored up and put out two yakkas at dusk and waited. Tide was going out with about 2 hours to go.

After about half an hour one yakka came back without a body. It was cleanly bitten off just below the hook. Damn!

We also had a couple of rods out with prawns and pilchards however over the next couple of hours all we got were those eels we all hate but nothing much else.

Finally at around 9pm one of the yakkas went off and after two runs and a bit of a tussle we had a small jewie on board. It went 42cm.

Not the one we were after but I'll be back for sure to give it another go.

post-31230-0-18929300-1463467216_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Clinton.

Hi Clinton. Nice report there mate. I have a question for you. When you're night fishing what sort of indicator do you put on the rod so that you know when you have a bite? Do you have lights in the boat? If so what impact does this have on the fish? I'd imagine a light may attract squid... does it? I use clip on bells whenever I fish in the dark, but I've heard of people using those glow sticks. Interested to know, cheers, Big Neil.

G'day Big Neil,

Yes, I've got lights on the boat.

I have trim lights that stay on the whole time so you can see the rods. When we get a fish on we put on a spotlight that shines up the whole back.

I haven't seen any squid yet but you do get lots of small fish and the occasional baby blue swimmer for some reason.

When I'm fishing on land I'll use the bells. Nothing better than hearing those bells go off.

I've only had this boat for a year so I really don't know yet if the lights affect the fishing - hopefully not!

Clinton