Snapper Session South Coast Bellambi Launch

recurve

Early launch off Bellambi Ramp and a quick spin out to one of our favorite spots. Southerly Swell of 2m had set in overnight and was a bit of surge at the ramp. Got out to the spot and discovered that it was not so bad once we were out. Anchored up and settled in for what we thought was going to be another epic session on the Reds.... Wait, what.... we were pointing the wrong way. Instead of pointing transom to the South we were pointing transom to the North. This is not the formula. It was dark, 6am and we had to be back by 9am so rather than move to try the other spots we have we went with it.

About 15 min later BANG!! Rod buckles over and I have a stonker. WuzzzzWuzzzzzWuzzzzzWuzzzz POP! FARK!!!!!! NO!!!! He cut the Leader (14Pound so not much to cut). Heart racing, shock and realisation of what happened kicks in, head drops, shoulder slumps and a wave of deep dark regret pulls over me then the sadness comes..............Then 3 min later I realise...........there here!!! Head, lets do it again.

Then my mates Bait Runner screams. You know that noise rrrrrrrggghhhhhhRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Everything goes in slow mo. I'm looking at his reel screaming, he's not moving. "Mate!! that's you!!". "Oh Oh" fumble fumble. Then comes that heart in mouth moment when he lifts the rod to set the hook. In your minds voice your chanting c'mon c'mon c'mon......he calls out "Yupp" He's on!!. Big fight, big fish. He pulls in a 60cm Red. Great effort. We were only fishing shallow which raises the stakes.

Then my rod which i borrowed off a mate as mine needs repair buckles over and I am on like a rodeo. Reel is screaming and I can't stop it. Tried thumbing the reel to get some stoppage but did not seem to make a difference. Then I look at the reel and notice that all the braid is almost gone and I am on the nylon backing but I can see the reel set under that.....I'm almost done and this fish is still going. I tighten the drag and thumb the spool and POP!! Line snaps. I have lost a mighty fish and lost my mates line....what little he had. If that was a Red which i think it was as it was shaking it's head then it is the biggest Red I have hooked. Or it was a Shark or King. Anyway I was at a total loss as to what to do. I can't stop re-living the moment. I feel like I farked up but don't know what else I could have done......

Back to my Gomoku Rod. Set i and again I get a stonker fish but he takes me down and pop. This happened to us 6 times. Decent fish busting us off 10m behind the boat. We must of been anchored over a ledge and they were heading under it . That's the catch 22 when Snapper fishing shallow. Use big gear you won't get them, use light gear you can't always hold em. The terrain you anchor over IMO has a major effect on the outcome.

After all that action and emotion we only landed 4 reds and only two were over 50cm. As a by catch we landed 4 Trevally which I personally really enjoy eating and so does the family.

A great day with all the emotions we love to experience while Red fishing but unfortunately the Eski did not reflect the session.

No pictures to show sorry.

Great report, Recurve, loved reading it.

How shallow is shallow?

Thanks Mark.

Shallow is 12m - 15m. Very finicky though. Going out on Sunday to try and repeat. Should be good after all the reefs are smashed up with this weather.