South coast estuaries in winter

DutchAngler

Hi guys,

New to raiders, looking for some help.

As its getting colder in south NSW it seems a lot of anglers I speak to stop fishing the estuaries.

I'm not willing to give up fishing the estuaries as I've just purchased a little tinny that I'm dying to try out!

What are your experiences fishing the estuaries in colder weather? The main estuaries I fish are Durras (near Batemans bay) wallaga lake in bermagui and very occasionally Turros heads.

Hope there is still something for me to catch down there in winter!

Thx guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'day Dutch Angler and welcome to Fishraider. You will still catch fish in Winter, just not as readily as in the warmer months. Bait and soft plastics will all produce your bread and butter species like Flathead, Bream, Tailor and Salmon in the estuaries. So get out there and get stuck in...fish still eat when it's colder. Cheers, Big Neil

Neil is right, all the usual species are still around and need to eat. Flathead are a little slower, so look for those warmer patches of water with some structure which hold bait as well. Work the plastic a bit slower and you will find fish. Schools of tailor can be found in places like the Clyde River, Durras, Tuross etc. If their feeding on bait schools, try and get a plastic through them and below you will find the flathead waiting for an easy meal. Look at the recent fishing reports on here, some good jew have been caught over this last full moon and it's been pretty cold!! Good luck and rug up warm. Cheers...

Dave

Dave is spot on. Work your lures slowly in winter for Bream and Flathead. Fish are not as agressive in cold water. If your getting hits but no hook ups change to a smaller lure or SP. Then again late last winter the Flathead would only look at 4 inch SP's, We were wondering if the smaller offering just wasn't worth the energy? Regards Howard. PS most Flathead I catch take the Sp while it is sitting on the bottom, a slow lift and drop works well but let it sink to the bottom each time! Im also a lover of Sax scent Crab! It works!

Thanks Guys, appreciate the tips, good to hear there is still a good chance of catching in winter!

Can I find the fishing reports here on fish raiders? For a specific estuary too?

Thx again,

Andy

Thats sounds good too! Anything that bites really! My profile name could have just as easily be fishinaddiction mate! [emoji12]

What about bream? Any of you guys still chasing them in winter? I've heard they are in deeper water is that right?