Fad Mark # 1

REKLESS

Gidday all, well I have finally completed FAD mark 1,it is going off sydney somewhere that is relatively close in,-for kings.For those who are interested ,the PVC tube is filled with poly styrene foam,it is air tight at the top and there is a hole at the bottom with a stainless steel rod going through the middle of the screw in base.There is 5m of ballustrading cable leading to a swivel and an UNKNOWN amount of rope.4m of chain leads to a milk crate that is filled with concrete.

It will be about 5m below the surface at Low tide,it will be going in over the northern edge of some nice reef that is away from any shipping channel.With a little luck,this could be interesting as I have just picked up a Penn downrigger ,to fish said FAD with.

Simon

post-112-1129029974_thumb.jpg

when it goes in I will take a photo of the bit of water that it goes into. :074:

Make sure you mark it with an X or some such so that we can tell where it is! :yahoo:

HI Rekless,

Is there any particular reason you are using ballustrading cable at the top? Does any particular rope/cable seem to make better FAD's? How long should they last out there?

All in all sounds like a great idea to me.

KaneMc

Guest hottuna

HI Rekless,

Is there any particular reason you are using ballustrading cable at the top? Does any particular rope/cable seem to make better FAD's? How long should they last out there?

All in all sounds like a great idea to me.

KaneMc

They only last about 3 months or the next 7m seas. I have 2 fads ready but will be waiting till december before launching, as it seems a waste when the waters still not at its warmest :074:

dan

uknown amount of rope sounds a bit dangerous, you really need to make sure you have the right length, the more rope the more chance someone can wrap their prop in it.

you better give me the marks so i can keep an eye on it for you :)

Hi Rekless, make sure you wear your camo gear when fishing your FAD and if you see an aluminium centre console with a Tohatsu on the back and some guy taking "Where Is" pictures I suggest you drive around in circles for a few hours or at least until he stops following. The last thing you need is for Joe to take a pic of your FAD location and George to identify the spot. :biggrin2:

:074::074: Just what I needed. A good laugh after forking out a few hundred dollars for tyres! :thumbup:

Guest bluecod

The last thing you need is for Joe to take a pic of your FAD location and George to identify the spot.

Simon,

Any new FAD location remains a secret with me - promise! :1prop::1prop:

None of your cajouling is going to work boys. Simon isn't giving his marks up that easily! :1yikes:

But I think $50 might persuade him! :yahoo::yahoo:

Hi guys,

DJ MAC,I to have been over the side clearing ropes from skegs and props from rope found drifting on current lines.When I say Unknown amount of rope,that means UNKNOWN to all of you guys,......but not to me,that means that I know the depth that it is in.When I say "close in" that means I am using it primarily for Kings ,thats why I am using the Poly tube ,it is only in shallow (relatively) water and wont crush with water pressure,I think that surface area is more of a consideration when in shallow water.

There is a few things hanging off it that will make it safe for boats to approach that will keep the rope vertical,if and when the rope/chain breaks.

The cable is there for a few reasons.,It will discourage people with snorkels and knives,It is unfriendly to Gel spun lines,it wont float,it wont allow growth in large amounts to cling to it.By the time the rope starts I am hoping tthat the water should be to deep to encourage marine growth.

Dont forget it is a subsurface thing as well.

The going rate for GPS locations is by Dutch auction,lets start at four cartons of crowneys and work backwards shall we?

Edited by REKLESS