Hawkesbury accident

Fab1

My condolences go to the family and friends of the little boy lost in that tragic boat ramp accident on the Hawkesbury today.It goes to show how quickly accidents can happen.To those of you with small children please leave them out of the car attended by an adult when launching/retrieving well away from the boat ramp to prevent these tragedies from occurring ever again.

It amazes me how many people let their kids roam around boat ramps unattended and launch/retrieve with them in the car.When xxxx hits the fan you simply don't have the time to save them in most cases.

I feel awful for his Grandad.

A tragic event. My condolences to family and friends. I always have car switched off and in gear with hand brake firmly applied, yet always worried that car will slip back, 4x4's are safer in this regard than sedans and utes with conventional tread on the tyres.

Frank

First thing everyone told me when I got a boat was "don't leave the little one in the car when you launch the boat".

Can't think of many worse things to happen, feel sorry for everyone involved.

My condolences to the family. it is a huge loss, worst thing that can happen to a family.

I was shocked when I heard that the little one was strapped in. Because from my point of view, it is the only safe place when putting the boat in.

That's what I did when my small one was 5 till about when he was 10, and he was a good swimmer and was allowed on the jetty.

Always had the handbrake on, in P, keys out ( Rather loose keys, and block ramp, then little one starting to play with and god knows what could happen )

I do not see any other place for a 5 year old if only 1 adult available.

When you have small kids under supervision you need to be extra-careful, not rush, not let be rushed, and be selfish. If ti takes time, it takes time.

I was heart broken when I saw the story and to be honest, I can't bring myself to read it. The parents must be at their wits end undoubtedly blaming themselves and that will last forever.

Rest in peace little one.

It’s one of those cases, you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t. The grandfather thought he was doing the right thing, and has lost a grandchild under his care, he would give his life if he thought it would bring the child back. His life and the parents will never be the same again. My condolences to the family, I am in tears as I write this, every life is precious. Please take care at the ramp.

Grandad

I was watching this unfold off my back veranda, the helicopters, the ses boats and police boats and divers. It made me want to go down and try to help but with all the people who know what they are doing, there is nothing people like me can do, we would only hinder them!

The Lower Portland ramp also has a bad drop off the end and I have seen many cars drop their trailer off the end at low tide. A ute trying to unload a boat off the tray would be asking for trouble!

Too top a bad day off we then heard of the little 12 year old girl not far away at Pitt Town being trampled by a horse she was leading.

2 young lives lost through no fault of their own is so very, very sad.

Jeff

I am sure there is a lot of speculation, but I am sure that the father was concerned about leaving his child unattended out of the car. Obviously the worst case scenario happened, but in saying that Murphy's law applies for everything we do.

Standby though for all potential law changes when it comes to launching and retrieving a boat.

In my honest opinion the amount of people I see act in an unsafe manor, incompetence launching and retrieving and general stuffing around at a boat ramp I seriously think that a course should be incorporated in the boat licence.

By stuffing around I mean, unstrapping and strapping on the ramp. Taking sweet time with no sense of urgently and people who take up 3 lanes when launching.