Fg knot

gordo86

Hi all

Does anyone know of or use the fg knot for braid to leader knots? I have recwntly been getting some pretty decent sized creatures snap me off and a mate showed me my problem.

I was running a free running star sinker doen to a swivel and then my mono leader from swivel to hook which he informed me that braid saps easier when tied to a swivel so he runs a leader tied to the braid and then star sinker runs on that to the swivel then a second mono leader to the hook. I was to lasy to change rigs and as we wern't getting any bites and of course my rod goes nuts and shortly after get snapped off, only for my mate to the hook up and drag a 7ft wobygong (scuse the spelling) onto the beach using same braid and all.

So wondering if the FG knot is really the best braid to leader knot?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi all

Does anyone know of or use the fg knot for braid to leader knots? I have recwntly been getting some pretty decent sized creatures snap me off and a mate showed me my problem.

I was running a free running star sinker doen to a swivel and then my mono leader from swivel to hook which he informed me that braid saps easier when tied to a swivel so he runs a leader tied to the braid and then star sinker runs on that to the swivel then a second mono leader to the hook. I was to lasy to change rigs and as we wern't getting any bites and of course my rod goes nuts and shortly after get snapped off, only for my mate to the hook up and drag a 7ft wobygong (scuse the spelling) onto the beach using same braid and all.

So wondering if the FG knot is really the best braid to leader knot?

yep it is AFAIC and don't let anyone tell you it's too hard to do on light line

and i've only tied about 20 FG knot's it's eazy once you find a way to tie it

that suits you , i use the rod holder method .

post-38527-0-09741400-1465643782_thumb.jpg

Ok good stuff how many turns using 50lb braid still 20 odd or less?

Depends on how big your guides are but generally it's length of the knot you worry about not number of turns. I usually make them about 3-4cm long. Heaps of tutorials online for how to do them though...there's a fast easy way to do it I learnt recently but I find the harder way to tie them results in a better knot.

Guest Guest123456789

A tip, after you do your 28 turns, then your first half hitch with the braid, then pull the knot hard, THEN pull the Fluro itself hard. I hold the Fluro leader end by hand and the tag end I bite with my teeth, then pull. Gets the bumps out. Then do the other half hitches. I've found the difference between a good FG and a bad FG is joy much space exists in the turns. You want it bunched up real hard.

Edited by Guest123456789

Yes it is the best knot to use to connect braid to a leader except for no knot.

I only use an FG on rigs when I'm casting lures, where no swivel is required.

Every knot you put in the system is another week link. I would be looking at what causing the braid to break and my first thought would be a running star sinker striking the knot at the swivel.

A simple solution would be to run an Ezi Rig on the main line with a soft plastic bead between the the Ezi Rig and the swivel to absorb the shock.

Alternatively you could learn to tie a bimini twist and run a short double to a cats paw knot at the swivel.

I use both these rigs and never have a problem with braid breaking

Corb

Edited by Crossfire63

Ok good stuff how many turns using 50lb braid still 20 odd or less?

I use 12 with 30lb braid to either 30 or 40lb leader. It runs through guides easily and has never failed me. IMHO the best knot to use. Cheers.

For me, I use an improved Albright knot. I guess the thing with knots is that you use what works for you and is easy to tie on the go! Learn a couple of knots, learn to do them well and keep it simple!

Cheers scratchie!!!