Trailer rollers

Fab1

How often have you gone to launch/retrieve your boat and been faced with boat trailer rollers that won't spin freely or at all making the process more difficult than it has to be due to corrosion?I can honestly say its never happened to me in all these years simply because I take the time out to perform simple maintenance.

This is the rear roller on my trailer that cops the most abuse and the spindle that will corrode the most as it gets submerged during launching/retrieving.post-20199-0-79576100-1465780324_thumb.jpg

Here I have the roller dismantled on the work bench ready to give the spindle a good clean on the wire wheel and a paint to give it a little more protection for a while.post-20199-0-61586700-1465780556_thumb.jpg

Spindle cleaned up and painted.Imperative that you use the mrs clothesline to hang from just to annoy her.post-20199-0-72270300-1465780655_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-79319500-1465780706_thumb.jpg

All that's left to do is grease the spindle and install back on the roller cradle.I don't use split pins,instead I use stainless R clips for ease of removal/installation.post-20199-0-77905500-1465780913_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-93210900-1465780940_thumb.jpg

Eventually the spindles will need replacing and ill replace with stainless round bar,but for now I'll keep trying to slow down my launching instead of battling to get the boat to move as you see so many people having trouble at the ramps.

Hope this helps someone as its the best 30min you can spend on your trailer going through the rollers to make life easier on yourself.

Cheers.

Having just replaced all my rollers due to rust, worn and split rollers, wow a difference in launching and retrieving it makes to have rollers that actually roll.

My wife even noticed the difference.

The boat I mainly use these days is alloy and my trailer is one I built just on 20 years ago from alloy, I have alloy rollers and Stainless Steel shafts, been going for 20 solid years without any maintenance and looks like there is another 20 years left before I will have to do anything to it.

Do it right first up and never have to do it again.

Frank

I grease my spindles when replacing rollers and from time to time I use spray grease with a tube on the end of the can, seem to last OK.

At least your keeping on top of them.

Having just replaced all my rollers due to rust, worn and split rollers, wow a difference in launching and retrieving it makes to have rollers that actually roll.

My wife even noticed the difference.

It certainly does make a difference.

The boat I mainly use these days is alloy and my trailer is one I built just on 20 years ago from alloy, I have alloy rollers and Stainless Steel shafts, been going for 20 solid years without any maintenance and looks like there is another 20 years left before I will have to do anything to it.

Do it right first up and never have to do it again.

Frank

Sounds like the ideal setup Frank.Not too sure I'd want the alloy rollers rubbing on the alloy keel for 20 yrs.