South Coast Options

recurve

Well as you know the coast down here has been totally smashed by the storm. There has been a huge volume of dirty silty water that has been washed out to sea and the fishing scene has changed dramatically. What worked before the storm does not appear to be working now.

Friday: We went out after work so did not want to go to far. Quick in and out. We discovered that there were big channels of brown water everywhere. We tried fishing in them, on the edge of them and away from them. There were no bites or takes. Not one and we were using fresh squid......, Now and again we would see fish on the sounder but they were not interested in what we had to offer.

Monday: Went out on my own. Thought it would be best to go out wide. Took off at sparrows fart and went wide 18k from Bellambi Boat Ramp at about 60m. Only to find we had a different current on the bottom than the top and the wind was different again. Total head bend. Tried the Sea Anchor but it was a no go. So buzzed over to the humps. Not long after arriving the 5 boats on the humps all buggered off....not a good sign. I sounded around the gravel and found some life but again they were not biting and no one was hooking up......hmmmmmm this is not working!!

Decided to go to the 40m mark off Stanwell but nothing, no fish on the sounder and no bites. Went to a flatty ground but only got wee tiny flatties......what in the blazes is going on!!

Water was much clearer than Friday so I thought I would start a burley trail and see what was happening in 20m. Slimy, Slimy, Slimy, Slimy, Slimy, Slimy. Nothing else just Slimies. No wrasse, no Bakers, No Sweep just Slimies.

Came back in tail between my legs.

What was interesting was that it was a very busy day at Bellambi and lots of boats had come in when I came in but the cleaning tables were not being used. Not a good sign.

Spoke to two groups of lads who had caught a couple snapper. They were all caught past the ships in 60m directly out from Bellambi. They had no issues with current. So I had the right idea but where I went I found mega current so was a fail for me.

I think over the next 2 weeks it will settle and the usual spots on the 40m mark will start to produce again. Where the snapper go though will have to figured out. The code has changed and needs to be deciphered again. :064:

Next few weeks are going to be interesting and require a lot of exploration to suss it out.

Hope I figure it out before the rest of you :mfr_lol:

Love to know if anyone else found the snapper.

I don't like fishing massive sinkers but right now that appears to be the go.

If all you can catch is slimey mackeral well just keep catching them till you have your bag limit, they are better on the plate than most people realise and they are top bait filleted and salted will last longer than any other bait and won't smell your hands and esky etc.

Always nice to get among the better fish but make the best of any session and have fun, that's the main thing.

Frank

Gday Recurve

Headed out from port kembla yesterday, on the water at 5am. Fished the reefs at the 40m mark, current wasn't an issue. Water was a murky green color. Called it a day round noon with a few 40cm pinkies and a solid mowy.

Agree its off the boil after the east coast low, most seem to be doing it tough. Some guys at the ramp had success at 80m, maybe the water is cleaner out wide.

One things for sure its frigging cold before the sun shows itself.

If all you can catch is slimey mackeral well just keep catching them till you have your bag limit, they are better on the plate than most people realise and they are top bait filleted and salted will last longer than any other bait and won't smell your hands and esky etc.

Always nice to get among the better fish but make the best of any session and have fun, that's the main thing.

Frank

Agreed I rate it. We turned it into a Fish Curry last night and the boy had his fried. Thought about bagging out and salting them down but could not be bothered with the wife objecting and don't have anymore freezer room. Only caught around 10 of them and stopped. They don't last long before the flesh changes texture and flavour. best eaten within a day or two.

Gday Recurve

Headed out from port kembla yesterday, on the water at 5am. Fished the reefs at the 40m mark, current wasn't an issue. Water was a murky green color. Called it a day round noon with a few 40cm pinkies and a solid mowy.

Agree its off the boil after the east coast low, most seem to be doing it tough. Some guys at the ramp had success at 80m, maybe the water is cleaner out wide.

One things for sure its frigging cold before the sun shows itself.

40m over reef, nice one. It was freezing but by around 8am I was boiling with all the layers I put on. 80m that's a fair way down. I really don't like big sinkers but I really like catching Snapper.

Fished the rock ledges in the illawarra region post storm for the biggest and most numerous run of snapper ive had in more then 5 years. none smaller then 55cm and hit over 15 fish each day thursday friday and saturday. All of them came on fresh tailor strip baits. I also took the jet ski out saturday afternoon to fish the in shore reefs in 15-20m and boated 2 jew.

All the tailor jew bream etc have fled the estuary and the fresh and are on the headlands and inshore reefs. Every snapper i caught was bloated and football shaped.Gorging themselves on all the debris and estuary escapees. Same goes for the Jew, The tailor i was spinning up for bait was coming in 20m of water on a rock ledge. Nearly an endless supply of 20cm models with a few 30-40cm models about.

Fished the rock ledges in the illawarra region post storm for the biggest and most numerous run of snapper ive had in more then 5 years. none smaller then 55cm and hit over 15 fish each day thursday friday and saturday. All of them came on fresh tailor strip baits. I also took the jet ski out saturday afternoon to fish the in shore reefs in 15-20m and boated 2 jew.

All the tailor jew bream etc have fled the estuary and the fresh and are on the headlands and inshore reefs. Every snapper i caught was bloated and football shaped.Gorging themselves on all the debris and estuary escapees. Same goes for the Jew, The tailor i was spinning up for bait was coming in 20m of water on a rock ledge. Nearly an endless supply of 20cm models with a few 30-40cm models abo

So post storm you were getting smashed by Snapper off the rocks. On the Friday we went in close and had a big burley trail but nothing. Well done!! Prior to the storm we were getting 10+ per trip with most over 55cm and fishing very close to shore. Same tactic after storm not happening. Fishing is such a mystery.

Read about some guys up at Coffs who are claiming the snapper are in close at the moment, in about 20m of water... Not sure if there's any truth or consistency in it, but they had evidence of their claims and it's food for thought.

This time of year snapper flood the inshore reefs. The stormy weather would send them offshore but they return soon enough. I find that they are generally more aggressive when there's a bit of current and the bait is stacked on one side of a drop off or bommie! And then there's some day where no matter what you do they just don't want to play!

Better luck next time!

Cheers scratchie!!!