Port Stephens hectic (snapper)

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

Sorry but a quick late report from Saturday.

With the weather over the past week, well we all know, Dom, myself and a relo jake decided to give it a crack on Saturday morning. We were greeted at the heads by relatively small swell and little wind. So with the westerly forecast we headed south. Boy did that weather change as we rounded the corner at fingal head. It was blowing at least 15knots and close to 2m swell. But we thought we're out here anyway so let's find a spot and have a go. After dodging numerous whales and seals we found a nice drift. I was keen to get my relo jake onto something decent as he doesn't get the chance to fish much but loves it all the same. Anyway, with the wind behind us we begin to cast and dom the snapper whisperer is on straight away and boats a little panny. We do this drift a few more times and suddenly jake comes up tight and his little 3000 is screaming. With a bit of encouragement from us both he gets the fish boat side and into the net.

post-24974-0-37534600-1465883914_thumb.jpg

It went a respectable 54cm and the biggest fish he's caught as well as being on a soft plastic. We then proceeded to find a few drifts with the swell and wind increasing every minute. We tried one more area with Dom coming into his own landing 3 pannies in quick succession. For me, I had one bite all morning and I managed to drop that too! It just wasn't my day but I'm glad jake had nailed a decent fish.

We called it a day and proceeded to head home, where by now the wind was pumping and we had to head straight on into it. To say hectic across the bay was an understatement, it was pretty much 2m and 25knots inside the bay which made for a slow journey home.

post-24974-0-73126000-1465884467_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Didn't mention the mad boat driver who thought it would be better being airborne than in that mess!!! Ha you had white knuckles mate hanging on tight!!!

Great to see Jake getting his first on the plastics, always good to see a first timers ripping it up.

Everyone loves fishing for reds!!

Cheers

Dom

Didn't mention the mad boat driver who thought it would be better being airborne than in that mess!!! Ha you had white knuckles mate hanging on tight!!!

Great to see Jake getting his first on the plastics, always good to see a first timers ripping it up.

Everyone loves fishing for reds!!

Cheers

Dom

Yeah you mad bastard! White knuckles, airborne, back slams, it didn't do anything for my tendinitis either. You need some driving lessons lol. :)

Thanks for the trip out my friend. Jake was really excited by his catch!

What a great place you live. Toying with coming up there by boat over Christmas. The local marinas seem quite accomodating with visitors berths.

Stay safe and remember to fill up your fuel tank for the Hairtail weekend!

What a great place you live. Toying with coming up there by boat over Christmas. The local marinas seem quite accomodating with visitors berths.

Stay safe and remember to fill up your fuel tank for the Hairtail weekend!

It is a great place Harold. Your family would love it! If you do venture up here and want a guide let me know! The marinas have great facilities up here! And take some fuel for me just incase! :)