Badass Tailors are back

IratusEst

Good day fellow fish raiders,

This is my first post on here and firstly, I like to thank the Fishraider's Administrators and all the expert raiders out there in this forum. From all your posts, experiences, passion and recommendations, I have become a learned land based raider since January this year. I have purchased some decent gears to added to my inventory and new obsession. To date, I have slowly graduated from catching salmons, bonitos, rat kings and to my recent adventures...the savages (the badass tailors).

Since the king tides hit our coastal waters, the weather had improved and I again unpacked my gears. I ventured to the beach last night desperately trying to bag a few. Beautiful weather and nice forecast and it was a slow start as usual. I used poppers and few stick baits with no results so it was time for the pilchards. My glow lights dipped a few times and I was loosing baits constantly. I have no ideas what was taking my baits. Then I quickly landed a small tailor. This is when all the action started, and looking around there was no one else targeting these hungry warriors.

The tailors are back and hungry with good sizes up to 50cm.They hit early around 7 pm last night and smashed all the pilchards I was throwing at them. I was running two rods simultaneously on a 12ft and 13ft surf rods. The Stradic FJ 8K was effortless in napping 4/5 good size 43 - 47 cm tailors. My light gear Sedona 4K was no match for these savages and I ended up loosing a few big ones that jumped out of the water. My mate bagged 5 squids in 3 hours for his liking. It was time to go home when the wind picked up around 9pm. It was a fantastic night.

To all the enthusiastic raiders, keep your gear warm and get out there. Happy fishing and keep safe. :banana:

Good work mate!

Very nice for a first post. There's certainly some good sized tailor getting around at the moment, should be a good season.

Keeo up the good work!

Ads

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you all.

I also need some advice on striking against the underrated tailor. I have lost more tailors then any other fishes. I don't know whether it's my technique or simply the excitement when the glow light goes berserk in the water or simply just lack of control in the dark.

Any advice is muchly appreciated.

Welcome to Fishraider and well done with your first post. In answer to your question, it is probably better to pick up your rod when there is obviously a fish biting. Take up any slack line and hold your finger against the line to FEEL what is happening. You will know when the fish is hooked and can strike to set the hook. Good luck.

I agree with Neil. Tailor don't ever eat a fish on the first bite, they take a bite out of the tail to mame their prey then go in for the kill therefore first sign of a bite...get ready and strike on the next

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you all.

I also need some advice on striking against the underrated tailor. I have lost more tailors then any other fishes. I don't know whether it's my technique or simply the excitement when the glow light goes berserk in the water or simply just lack of control in the dark.

Any advice is muchly appreciated.

Great report. Tailor like to chop the tail off fish before coming back to take the rest. Rig your pillies up on gang hooks if they cover at least 3/4 of the pillie's length. Otherwise you could do what I do, which is a 'two hook rig' with one hook through the head and one right down near the tail. Rig them around a metre under a float and let them take it a couple of feet under before striking. Tight lines!

Scott.

Edited by iamthecowgodmoo