Singles on small plastic HBs

savit

Hi All,

Most of my small plastic HB's hooks have rusted, so I have a dilemma - either to invest in new trebles or consider singles, or may be something else.

I would prefer not to go totally trebles way, as I had very unreliable hook up on trebles for flatheads which are 95% of catch on lures in my usual estuary fishing area.

So, the question - would you suggest / what's your experience with singles on small plastic HB lures ? If yes - then what hook size/shape would be most appropriate for 30-50 cm flatheads ?

I saw already the recent discussion about singles on blades on the forum.

Thank you and have a nice fishing weekend!

I would be hesitant to use singles on small hardbodies...there is a chance that it might work but my thoughts are that it would impact on the action of the lure negatively. I would just go get some good owner trebles. If you try the singles make sure you do a post so I know what the catch rate is like [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would be hesitant to use singles on small hardbodies...there is a chance that it might work but my thoughts are that it would impact on the action of the lure negatively. I would just go get some good owner trebles. If you try the singles make sure you do a post so I know what the catch rate is like [emoji1]

I agree with adsy! It's a bit different with the larger deep divers but with small hard bodies I'd be replacing them with owner trebles too!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Adsy91, I hope the HBs will impact at least the bite rate as the usual bait, SP and Blades stopped working for flatheads for some reason recently - that's why I decided to open again my rusty HB box.

So, I got the idea now about single lure hook shape from internet images and will use a pair of split rings in order to attach the usual(bait) hook at correct angle. I do agree that it may/will impact the lure action. Hope to try it when I fish next time (might be next week).

Just wondering why Owner trebles are particularly suggested - are they much different from / better than Gamakatsu, Mustad, VMC, Eagle Claw or some other hook brand trebles?

My BIL has been experimenting with this for some time, particularly on small lures where the trebles can hook together. His current setup is to retain one set of trebles and replace the front set with a single. Seems to work for him, but I haven’t tried it myself.

I bought some in line single hooks for my Samaki Viblicous. Missed 2 bream so changed back to trebbles.I like the look of the singles, but apart from that what is the adventage?

Howard,

With larger predators like jews, king threadfin and barra the singles almost always end up in the corner of the mouth. With trebles you get one or two of the hook points going into the skin and pull against each other when the fish goes head shaking or jumping and rip out of the skin resulting in a lost fish. With small soft vibes I wouldn't bother just keep the trebles but if you're using bigger (say 20g and up) soft vibes then singles are great.

Ads

Adsy91, I hope the HBs will impact at least the bite rate as the usual bait, SP and Blades stopped working for flatheads for some reason recently - that's why I decided to open again my rusty HB box.

So, I got the idea now about single lure hook shape from internet images and will use a pair of split rings in order to attach the usual(bait) hook at correct angle. I do agree that it may/will impact the lure action. Hope to try it when I fish next time (might be next week).

Just wondering why Owner trebles are particularly suggested - are they much different from / better than Gamakatsu, Mustad, VMC, Eagle Claw or some other hook brand trebles?

Those brands are also good, I suppose it depends what your local tackle shop stocks, I assume the reps have an issue with them stocking all of the competitors so some shops will have one or two of each and others will have the competitors.

Cargo05 - I had issues with trebles hooking together on blades as those are small lures - so I just replaced those successfully with doubles. Do I understand you correctly that treble was at HB lure tail and single at lure belly?

bluefin - Do you remember how you attached the single hooks to the lure - all hook points up / down/ same / opposite direction?

Adsy91 - The reps and large stores may have only contracts for supply with specific brands, however the small / independent tackle shops should not have issue what brands to stock otherwise it smells illegal business practices - particularly anti-competitive behavior/exclusive dealings.

I have to learn how to quote - Can anyone explain how to do that?

Yes Savit. The BIL is currently using a single for the belly and retaining the trebles on the tail. He has been doing this for some times and is happy with the result. It may be worthwhile trying it on blades as well. I like the idea of a double, rather than a single, but I haven’t tried either. I would be interested to know how you get on if you give it a go.

Savit, what you are describing with the trebles hooking each other tells me you either bought cheapo lures or didn't get the right sized trebles. The correct size trebles should not do this.

Ads

Cargo05, Bluefin - thank you for the comments regarding hooks direction. I am looking forward to next weekend to try them.

Ads, yes, the issue with trebles hooking each other - was with one of the cheap small Blades. I fish 95% at night, so loosing bottom-action lures can be quite regular and costly. From my experience, using smaller trebles might not be the best solution while targeting large mouth fish (flatheads - in my case) - I think is partially supported by your comment about large predators earlier in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update regarding my experiment with single hooks as some of you expressed the interest in the results. I 'made' 5 different HBs with single hooks on the lure bottom and tail. I tried them on a short 1 1/2 hour session on the usual estuary spot last weekend night . Unfortunately I arrived in the middle of run-in tide with the most current. Usually I do not catch anything on lures at strong current, and there was no difference this time. Anyway, I tried HBs with single hooks, Blades, SP, even some US sinker>swivel>leader>SP rig (to keep the lure closer to the bottom), different retrieves, with and without scent (x-factor) during the fishing session. No bites this time. I will provide further updates later to the topic when I have them.