North Harbour and Balmoral this week

The Rev

There are still fish around in the Harbour including some winter tailor. I'm on the back end of long service leave after being overseas and have been out twice this week with a mate and my son...

Tuesday (21st) we bagged out on tailor while also getting some bream up to 33cm and trevally and flathead. The tailor were from 32cm-42cm

8729fd99e455a8c58fc749a059d1d4f8.jpg

Sadly I lost my favourite bream rod in the moorings at Balmoral. I put it down for a moment and then looked up only to see it hooked up and swimming off into the deep[emoji30]. I went to grab it and missed by 5cm!

We caught trevally and flathead in Balmoral and tailor and flathead up in North Harbour.

Friday (24th) my son and I took refuge from the winds up in North Harbour among the moorings and landed 4 nice flathead up to 46cm and one very large 55cm green back tailor.

e1ea5c0819b8f4319f9b1f578a080af8.jpg

7695e9946701275e82785e3a40bd7bca.jpg

The tailor came up a treat when filleted, skinned and beer battered!

d02b8f85380cbbb18df01dc9d6ec5803.jpg

Tight lines

The Rev

Nice work mate

That is a decent feed

What did the damage?

Fished with cut baits. Salted bonito and salted tailor fillets along with Hawkesbury prawns. I'm a failed soft plastic fisherman!

The tailor and flathead were caught off the bottom. The bream and trevally with unweighted baits drifted down a chicken pellet trail of burley.

The Rev

Well done and thanks for he info.

I have been wondering if the harbour had cleaned up after the recent floods.

It's still a bit dirty but not too bad and plenty fishable. The fish are sitting down a bit deeper under any of the fresh left over

The Rev

Great report! How deep were you fishing?

In North Harbour and Balmoral - we were fishing in about 6 metres of water. See comments above for fishing method. Some caught off the bottom - some floating baits down a burley trail.

Cheers

The Rev

Nice mix.

Goes to show the flathead don't completely shut down in winter.

Bad luck about the rod.

I know - it was a 7'2" Berkley Drop Shot with a 2500 Shimano Symetre running 10lb braid. I have caught heaps of fish with it from Kings up to 68cm, massive 60cm+ flathead and Salmon to 70cm. Might be time for an upgrade!