Cowan Creek overnight 25/26 June

Wellzy94

First fishing report, please be gentle!

6 of us went out in 2 boats overnight in Cowan Creek, chasing hairtail. Boats in at Apple Tree Bay boat ramp at around 5pm, setup and ready to go in waratah bay by 6.

The hairtail were definitely there! All 6 of us lost a bunch, mainly due to lack of experience trying to keep them on the hook.

In the end, one person on my boat landed 2, both around the 1m mark. Skipper landed a good size tailor, measuring 32cm, and I caught my first ever Jewfish, measuring 66cm. The other boat was less action with only one fish caught, but it was a whopper 1.65m hairtail.

We all plan on making a full weekend trip on the Hawks on the 9/10th July and getting a day chasing flathead and bream before settling up Cowan for more hairtail.

Sorry for the lack of pics, my hands were too cold to come out of my pockets! Ill make sure to get some on our next trip (if we catch any).

Cheers,

Wellzy

Edited by Wellzy94

Good first report wellzy! Thanks for the feedback on the area. I'm sure there'll be a few interested raiders with the upcoming social this weekend!

The social will also give you feedback as to whats biting!

Cheers scratchie!!!

There are most definitely hairtail there! Just a much steeper learning curve to work out how to hook them than a lot of other species. The 9th/10th will be my third night out chasing hairies, maybe third time lucky! Fingers crossed.

@Fisho.sid

We were getting bites all through the night that showed the typical hairtail characteristic. Bites started and first fish was caught not too long after it got completely dark (~7pm from memory), and they dropped in frequency around 2:30am. Hope it helps!

What do you use to hook them? I saw one in half of metre of water while I was targeting brim the other night only around 6pm. Flicked my Zman grub in front of it a few times and it was hitting it but not getting hooked up. could of dropped the jig head hook size but didn't want to re-rig.

What do you use to hook them? I saw one in half of metre of water while I was targeting brim the other night only around 6pm. Flicked my Zman grub in front of it a few times and it was hitting it but not getting hooked up. could of dropped the jig head hook size but didn't want to re-rig.

REALLY!?

Thats crazy, would have been amazing to see. Did it swim like an eel?

My rig was knottable wire trace (about 1/2 metre) with a red glowstick attached just above a single hook, with half pilchards as bait.

Well done mate

I'm new to Hairtail fishing, Do you just use it unweighted and let it drift in the current or do you put some weight on it?

Edited by sam bros

REALLY!?

Thats crazy, would have been amazing to see. Did it swim like an eel?

Yeah like a eel but shiny silver was testing out my new LED Lenser head lamp, light didn't even seem to spook it ethier unlike all the poddy mullet around.