Environmental flows on the 'Bidgee

big Neil

Like most parts of NSW we have had a lot of rain in the past month. So much so that the 2 dams (Burrinjuck and Blowering) have both risen by about 15 -20% during that time. It was decided about that time to send down an environmental flow (EF), which is fine. Problem for anglers arose when there was so much rain that the intended EF has gone on continuously since then.

I regularly check the water levels to see where and when an opportunity to fish will present itself. Now both dams are only (approx.) 60% full, so what I'm having trouble with is this. Why not let the dam levels increase to 80-90% and allow the rivers to become fishable again? After all 1 days EF will prevent black water and fish deaths and save billions of litres of water. I had a look at one of my local boat ramps today and found it to be under about 2 mtrs of very brown water, along with the walkway to the pontoon. It's got me beat!post-20708-0-71401800-1467082363_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-60127200-1467082396_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-17589500-1467082434_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-97333600-1467082483_thumb.jpgThe boat ramp is under here.

How long has the river been up like that Neil?

I've heard nothing about fishing from friends & family down there for some time now this could be the reason why. However I am planing a trip with another raider to head down there in November, will keep you posted if it goes ahead.

Brett

How long has the river been up like that Neil?

I've heard nothing about fishing from friends & family down there for some time now this could be the reason why. However I am planing a trip with another raider to head down there in November, will keep you posted if it goes ahead.

Brett

G'day Brett. Been like that for almost a month and won't be any hope of decent fishing till mid August maybe. Great, let me know if you're heading "home" in November. In the meantime I'll keep you informed if things improve here. Cheers mate.

I was just thinking the other day that if only half of the water that is dammed up in Queensland’s Channel Country, for the likes of Cubby Station, was allowed to flow into the Murray Darling Basin it would improve the situation with the rivers substantially. It will never happen of course. We need to look after the Chinese owners.

I was just thinking the other day that if only half of the water that is dammed up in Queensland’s Channel Country, for the likes of Cubby Station, was allowed to flow into the Murray Darling Basin it would improve the situation with the rivers substantially. It will never happen of course. We need to look after the Chinese owners.

That's right. South of the border on the Darling sees more than a fair share of "no flow".