Wind Forecasts

clutch

I've noticed on occasion that some of you complain about the reliability of the BOM..??? weather forecasts.

Many of you, like myself are concerned about the wind more than anything else.

I'm attaching the address of a site that you may want to bookmark and compare to your usual site and see how they compare. It is actually from the University of Victoria in WELLINGTON, NZ but it includes forecasts for Australia

http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/

To see how to read the wind chart .....click on ..Current NZ weather.....then click on wind

and it will show you.

This is just another tool that you may find helpful although I'm sure you dont have wind like NZ

I know everyone (myself included) at times rants and raves about the dismal ability of some institutions to forecast wheather conditions, however we've got to keep in mind the way they actually forecast.

Because it's mother nature and she is female, we must deduce she is sometimes unpredictable. The way the guys at the BOM forecast weather is using historical data and models that adhere to atmospheric physics.

In other words it's statistics and probabilities and variations from the forecast are inevitable. I have noticed in the past few years they seem to be getting slightly better with their models and overall I think they do a pretty damn good job. I'd hate to have their job with so many variables and dealing with probabities and very dynamic conditions so I take my hat of to them - hang on.... I don't wear a hat :074:

Thanks for that... I will kep an eye on it over the next few weeks and see if i can tell a difference

FYI: Currently your chart was predicting at 10:00am today East to NE wind of around 5 knots

The live station at North Head is currently reporting ENE at 10knots with gusts to 12-15..

So its pretty clost to the money at the moment!!!

I'ss keep an eye on it and see what happens over the next few weekends

(Every little bit of info helps sometimes!!!)

Thanks

The way the guys at the BOM forecast weather is using historical data and models that adhere to atmospheric physics.

......my historical data tells me .......not to put all my eggs in one basket :biggrin2:

..........and to use all tools available to oneself