Evans Head Classic.

Jewhunter

G'day all.

A mate has invited me down for the Evans Head classic as his deckie.

He won the biggest snapper a couple of years ago & knows the area well.

Leaving at lunch time for 4 days of solid fishing.

I'm pretty pumped up for it.

Any other Raiders fishing it? If so drop me a pm & we will catch up

& say hi.

Cheers,

Grant.

Edited by Jewhunter

Thanks for putting the pics up Stewy.

Well, I'm home now after a really fun week.

We caught plenty of fish. Got out on Sunday arvo, Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.

Got blown out by the southerly on Thursday & Friday.

Neil got his big Pearlie on Sunday arvo. A quick 2 hr session saw 6 squire, 6 Trag & the pearly.

That pearly held top spot on the board until Thursday. It was 2nd biggest for the week & netted

us $500 cash.

Monday we went out early at the bottom of the tide & got smashed on the bar. A good wave

cracked right on top of the boat. Nothing we could do but wear it. Boat & occupants were fine

but wet. 2 rods got blown out of the rocket launchers & are now sitting out the front of the Evans

Head bar. Bye bye to my Loomis pro blue & new penn spinfisher v with 300mtrs of braid....

The fishing was a bit slower but we picked up a bag of trag & squire & i nailed my pb 69cm snapper

which was the 6th biggest of the day for the comp. I also picked up a blue groper on a soft plastic which

was a 1st for me.

Tuesday was a late start to allow for a bit more water over the bar. The current had dropped right out &

the fishing slowed. Just a couple of squire, trag & flattie to take home. We dropped some live yakkas off

to a mate chasing flatties in the river & within 5 minutes his 20y/o daughter nailed a 5.55kg fish, which won

her the daily prize & $500 for the 2nd biggest of the comp. Well done Tegan, you fished really hard

all week & deserved that fish!

Weds we tried a couple of spots but the current was non existent. We anchored on a good mark that had plenty

of bait & burleyed hard. Slow fishing again, with a couple of squire, trevally & lots of patience. Finally my livie

got nailed & after a fun fight on light gear I landed a 13kg jew. Only 2 jew were weighed that day & the one that

knocked me off for the daily prize ended up winning the comp for that species.

So that was it fishing wise. Plenty of nice fillets vac sealed to bring home.

The wrap up was last night & I was lucky enough to have my number drawn out with 20 others for the chance

of winning the boat package. I didn't win it, but scored 2 nights in the Ramada at Ballina & a deep cycle battery.

I think we did well for the comp. 650 competitors & we won a wilson live fibre rod worth $250 & $500 cash for the

pearly, to go along with the Ramada package worth $450 & the $220 battery. $1400.00 worth of cash &

prizes to put the icing on a great week.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

Cheers,

Grant.

Edited by Jewhunter

That sounds like an awesome comp grant! Well done on the fish and the prizes you cleaned up. They are both a bonus when you get to spend a week with a mate fishing! Commiserations on losing your gear but that's sometimes a small price to pay when crossing bars!

Do you fish the Dave Irvine snapper classic at coffs?

Thinking about taking the young guns up there!

Cheers scratchie!!!

That sounds like an awesome comp grant! Well done on the fish and the prizes you cleaned up. They are both a bonus when you get to spend a week with a mate fishing! Commiserations on losing your gear but that's sometimes a small price to pay when crossing bars!

Do you fish the Dave Irvine snapper classic at coffs?

Thinking about taking the young guns up there!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Jeff.

I haven't fished it yet, but am very keen. I've got a mate who works at the big tackle place down

there that I can stay with.

If you need a deckie....!! I'm in!

Cheers,

Grant.

Well done on the fish and wins in the comp Jewhunter. Sorry about the lost gear. I run light shock cord across my rocket launchers, secured at both ends and in the middle and stretch that over the reels when I expect rough conditions to stop anything bouncing out. This system hasn't been tested yet but hopefully will work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

• 2 weeks later...

Well done on the fish and wins in the comp Jewhunter. Sorry about the lost gear. I run light shock cord across my rocket launchers, secured at both ends and in the middle and stretch that over the reels when I expect rough conditions to stop anything bouncing out. This system hasn't been tested yet but hopefully will work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks mate.

Well, your system sounds a lot better than mine! The skipper is still apologising

to me. In 16 yrs crossing that bar he has never worn one over the top.

Lesson learned & I will be strapping down all rods, or have them inside the boat,

next bar crossing.

I'll just have to upgrade to a better outfit!