Narrabeen Flatties

flattiefisher27

Gday Raiders,

Just a quick report, there are lots of flathead around the Narrabeen lakes area, fished this morning for a few hours around Woolworths bridge and the caravan park wading out on the sand flats, landed one 42cm flattie and dropped two more at my feet as I didn't have a net. 3" Minnows did all the damage in darker colours. Definitely worth a shot fishing the lakes if you can get around as its opened up and there is lots of action post-23750-14686470633771_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work young fella. They look very healthy! Do me a favour though and don't sit your reel in the sand! Not the best way to look after it!

Anyway, good to see you getting a few! I caught my biggest ever bream there when I was 11yo!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Great work mate, some nice catches there. What rod/reel are you using? Looks like a gen black, I am looking to buy one, maybe wicked weasel, just wondering how you like it?

Yep this is a gen black, wicked weasel too, paired with a 2000 Daiwa Freams with 6lb braid as well as 6lb leader. Best set up I've used so far for targeting estuary species, especially the flathead. Larger ones too I've landed then up to 75cm and it handled the fish with ease. If definitely look at getting one if you can get one.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good. Have you targeted bream with it? Just wondering how it performs at the lighter end of the scale.

I've got an old Daiwa Proshooter 2000 that I serviced and loaded with 10lb J braid (I think I should have gone lighter), so might try to find a Wicked Weasel next time they are on sale.

Seems like overkill to me personally. 2-6kg is probably O.K for flatty (not real sensitive though) but for breaming I wouldn't bother. I use an itchy twitchy which is 1.5-3kg and to be honest this still could come down a bit for the bream and other finicky fish. I assure you that a rod of this rating will handle ANY sized flathead including those 1m monsters.

Just my opinion though, I know a lot of people fish heavier set ups on f.r for the confidence.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with Adsy91. I have a Gen Black Wiched Weasel and an Itchy Twitchy. The WW is generally used with SP for flatties, the Itchy Twitchy for small hard bodies for bream. I recently purchased a 1-3kg Lox on special at the local tackle store for similiar money as the Gen Blacks. IMHO it is a beaut rod, and matched with a 1000 Stradic Ci4+ it is effortless fishing. Casts a long way, with a really nice feel. Having said that, the Gen Blacks are still very good rods. I guess it all depends on your style and type of fishing.