Squid leader

nutsaboutfishing

G'day,

I've been using 10lb fluro leader when I squid fish, but when I get snagged I always lose the jig when I pull to free it. I've been considering upgrading to 20lb leader in the hopes that if a snag and pull the line the squid jig barbs will straighten and unsnag (is that a word?) the jig. Is this something that's done by people? Since squid have such great eyesight will the see heavier leader?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Richard

Hi mate,

First of all, what is your main line. Because if it's only 10 or 12lb then going up in leader probably won't help. If it's 15-20lb or more then going to 20lb will help in some cases.

It also depends what type of bottom you are fishing. I squid with 10lb braid and 10lb fluorocarbon leader and if I pull VERY smoothly, most of the time I get my jig back as the jig tears through the weed or kelp or the weed tears. If you pull too quickly or jerky then you have a higher risk of breaking the line. Some guys say if you sharply jerk and bounce the rod tip when you're snagged it slightly wears/tears a hole in the weed and the jig can fall out. I think sometimes it shakes free but I think it often makes things worse. If your jig or line is caught on a rock or if the prongs are caught in cunjevoi or some other similar thing that is seriously stuck to the bottom you will lose either way.

Good quality 8lb braid and quality10lb fluro, as soon as u feel the bottom (better feel with a lighter leader) qik jerk up and the jig will dart towards the surface, feel the weed again , repeat process.... If snagged SLOWLY raise rod tip as high as possible and drag thru weed until it rips thru, still snagged whilst rod still high smash the butt a few times with other hand which will send vibrations down to the jig, still snagged , rod tip down drag locked and pull backwards , 50/50 chance at this stage but still a chance. And remember If your not getting snagged your not getting squid!

• 2 weeks later...

Hold the reel and point the rod at the snag. Gently and slowly pull. This is your best chance of getting off as you can control the pressure. Repeat over until you work it loose. You sometimes just need to wear down what ever has caught you.