Info about Soft Plastic

Snapper81

Hi all,

I bought finally a rod and reel for SP.

Daiwa Phantom 2/4 kg, 4-10gr 3 pieces and reel Abu Garcia 2000 with 8lb line.

I would like to ask how deep can I fish with SP?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The conditions which you fish in (wind, current, location, target species) will determine what size and type of soft plastic you should use. For instance, fishing in an estuary for bream or flathead, with moderate current and fairly shallow water you would use light jig heads 1/16 to 1/4 oz.

If you are fishing the reefs for snapper with wind and current you will probably need 1oz jig heads. The rod /reel set up you have is more suited to flathead and bream fishing. Hope this helps.

Good Big Neil....

Your help is always important!

I was in dewis point but I think the water was too deep, like 15/25 metres, for SP.

You will be able to fish that depth using the larger jighead and plastic. Savits point about braid is important too. Just make sure you allow the S/P time to get to the bottom. The line will go slack when you reach the bottom...tighten it up and start your retrieve. Good luck.

Your line is ok . What is the problem that you have at depth? If you think that you cannot reach the bottom then may be the current drags the light lure, so no slack line. In that case - try heavier jig heads as suggested by Big Neil or try metal blade lures which sink faster and are very "delicious" for flatheads.

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

I think the spot is too depth approximately is about may be more then 15 meters. Only to understand the depth I was in Dawes point close the Harbour Bridge.

If you know the place you can help me.

I'm sure both of you are right and I can fish with S/P there also with only a condition, use a heavy jidhead to touch the bottom and keep it there easily.

Which kind of S/P may I use there?

It's not really a matter of which soft plastic. Most sp fisho's will use a range.

I would probably try a shad in two different colours, and a squidgy wriggler, maybe a fish shaped sp in a couple of natural looking colours.

Use a heavier jighead.

Let it sink, just wait, there isn't anything wrong with it sitting at the bottom for 2 minutes but there is something wrong if it never gets to the bottom so my advice is just open the bail arm and wait for an excessive amount of time.

Then start your retrieve, couple of flicks take up the slack wait 45-60s... Couple of flicks take up the slack wait etc etc...

This being said... I've never caught a fish on soft plastics so everything I've said could be terrible advice.

:)

Will

your gear may be a bit light to fish that kind of depth range the jig heads required will probably be to heavy for your gear

you have a perfect setup for chasing flatties on the flats and smaller channels or bream around oyster racks

not sure what your targeting in 15-20m depth but a decent graphite rod around the 6kg range with a 3000-400 sized reel and around 15lb braid would probably suffice