Fishing comps Sydney

Garrybeynon

• 1 month later...

Ansa has comps there are several clubs depending on your locality

Unless they have changed their rules since I fished ANSA comps, only fishing club members could fish their comps. Then again it was in the 70's that I was a member of eastern suburbs anglers and fished ANSA through that club!

Jeff

ANSA has clubs throughout Sydney but they are not free to join- like any other incorporated entity they have insurances, legal fees, accountancy fees, etc etc- so they are paid membership. There is also the Bream comp circuit - again there is a fee to join-you can look this up On the BETS webpage and the other one (forgotten the name). There are also stand alone comps run for various reasons such as the Hawkesbury Classic (run by Pittown Anglers Club to raise money for the Childrens hospital at Westmead)- never heard of a free comp though.

Hi. Thought I would explain the difference between club comps.

There are a lot of little independant fishing clubs based at pubs, RSL clums etc, but two groups of clubs banded together as fishing organisations.

Amature Fishermans Association (AFA) comps are based on total bags of fish, usually so many points per fish and points per KG.

Australian National Sportfishing Association (ANSA) which I belong to was formed by a group of fishos 49 years ago that broke away from AFA due to the way comps were run back then that resulted in a lot of fish wastage. (AFA comps now have limits per species that solves this issue).

ANSA comps are not based on bags of fish, but trying to catch the highest scoring single fish in each of 5 divisions. Each species of fish has a fighting factor based on their difficulty to catch. This is multiplied by the weight of the fish and then divided by the breaking strength of the (pre-tested) line. Sounds complicated but it isn't realy. This formula means you need to fish the lightest possible lines for the available fish to have a chance of winning and I use 1KG prtest lines when fish in the estuary division.

• 1 month later...