PFD's -best prices?

big Neil

G’day Neil

Maritime NSW had an Old4new program earlier in 2016. I am not sure if it is currently running, but it would be worth contacting them. http://maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au/lifejackets/old4new/index.html Coincidently, the local tackle shops who stock PFB’s were matching the price which was something like $80, rather than the normal $150, (or there about.)

Need to replace my PFD's and they cost a small fortune here. Where's the best place to get them, in store or online? Big Neil.

Hi Neil. Check your local Aldi this weekend for groceries. They should also have adult inflatable PFDs (level 150 / australian certified) for $60 on special. This is the best price I saw for inflatables. Though, there are plenty of them online delivered for $69. The usual PFDs can be way cheaper. PM me if you need more details.

Whitworths always have one of the makes on sale, in the current catalogue on the front cover they have them for $69.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I'll have a look at that. I need a few things for the boat so good opportunity. Cheers.

Yep my pfd's are all 150N manual operating and actually in pretty good condition - no stitching worn and the CO2 cartridges still intact and weighing correctly. I did send them away to Sydney a few years back and they cost a fair bit to be serviced...probably more than new ones, at the time. I decided then that I wouldn't send them away to be checked and have been keeping them in good order myself. Just unsure how they would be legally in the (unlikely) event I got pulled up. Thought to get new ones in Sydney when I'm there...not sure if I have to though, from what you're telling me. Cheers, Big Neil.

I spoke to a waterways guy at one of our comps a couple of weeks ago..buy new cartridges and replace them yourself then write date on tag on pfd....you don't need to be a rocket scientist neil ive done mine lol...hope this helps..rick

Thanx Rick. I've taken my cartridge out and weighed it then put it back, too. Will get some when I'm in Sydney and change them over...and put the date on the tag. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Big Neil, I have a couple of Marlin 150N's and a couple of Angler 150N's. The way i read their servicing instructions is that you can self service the PFD's up to 3 years and then you are supposed to change the cylinder, clip etc or get them professionally serviced. I don't believe you have to change the cylinder every year. My jackets are now coming up to their 3rd year, and I am pretty sure that as you are attempting, I will endeavour to find newbies on special (BCF, whitworths or sometimes tackleworld have them on sale)as I think it will cost nearly as much to replace all the bits n pieces. By buying new ones you also have the added comfort (hopefully) of nothing will go wrong with them.

Good luck

ps I reckon the worst part is repacking the bladder exactly the same way as it came originally

Mullatt

Big Neil, I have a couple of Marlin 150N's and a couple of Angler 150N's. The way i read their servicing instructions is that you can self service the PFD's up to 3 years and then you are supposed to change the cylinder, clip etc or get them professionally serviced. I don't believe you have to change the cylinder every year. My jackets are now coming up to their 3rd year, and I am pretty sure that as you are attempting, I will endeavour to find newbies on special (BCF, whitworths or sometimes tackleworld have them on sale)as I think it will cost nearly as much to replace all the bits n pieces. By buying new ones you also have the added comfort (hopefully) of nothing will go wrong with them.

Good luck

ps I reckon the worst part is repacking the bladder exactly the same way as it came originally

Mullatt

Yep my pfds are a lot older than 3 y/o. Haven't really been used in saltwater environments, but have definitely been in the sun a lot. Where I'm staying isn't far from Whitworths so may check out their prices if I get time. Cheers.