Trailer lights

nutsaboutfishing

Hi,

In desperate need of help. I unhitched a mates boat and when I removed the 7 pin electronics plug I put it over the towbar so when he drove off the plug came off leaving exposed wires. There's about 9 or 10 different wires and we can't seem to rewire it properly ourselves. Who can I call to fix my stuff up??

Richard

Thanks for the replies, but I've got three red wires and two brown and an assortment of others. I've tried to connect all the red wires to the red pin according to Google and all the Brown wires as well etc, etc, but it still doesn't work. thinking I may need some professional help. Any suggestions??

Thanks for the replies, but I've got three red wires and two brown and an assortment of others. I've tried to connect all the red wires to the red pin according to Google and all the Brown wires as well etc, etc, but it still doesn't work. thinking I may need some professional help. Any suggestions??

If you are in the NRMA call them

Hi.

There are a couple of ways to approach this.

Google trailer repair centres in Sydney or wherever you are based. It will cost you money but no hassles.

Alternatively, use this as a learning experience. 12V systems are pretty easy if you take your time. Google trailer wiring diagrams. As a basic Yellow is the left hand flasher. Green is right hand flasher. Red is brake light. White is neutral. Brown is your driving lights (at night time). Some people run through one wire in series to multiple lights (say 1 common earth or 1 common red cable to both the left and right brake lights). By the sounds of it the person who did the wiring ran a red wire to each brake light which is why you have two. They probably ran a brown cable to each brake light and the light for the number plate which is why you have 3 brown cables.

Find a five wire plug diagram and combine the 3 browns as one at the plug. Do the same for the two reds. There should be only one green and yellow. There might be multiple whites.

If you have a multimeter or battery and globe and a long wire you can check at both ends of the wires to see where each comes from. It is worth doing this as the person doing the wiring may not have stuck to the colour system.

If you want to be methodical start with the white earth/neutral and maybe something like the left and right flasher and check them and then keep going with the others. It is easier to troubleshoot than doing it at once.

I had trailer lighting once which was behaving strangely. In the end I worked out that the neutral had been damaged and it was earthing back through the other cables. So began my introduction to trailer wiring.

Edited by DerekD

Get a 12v battery and put white on earth with a vice grip.

Then get a 1ft long piece of wire and fit it to poz terminal with another vice grip.

Then touch the wires one by one and see what lights up on light board.

Mark each one with masking tape and label them with a pen.

When finnished.

Get a test light and test car plug on back of car going through all lights .

When finnished marry them up.

I was diagnosing my new trailer this arvo, as the brake lights weren't working.

Derek is 100% spot on! Shakey even posts an awesome diagram too! Cheers guys I will using this info!

After checking with a multi meter, I found all my wiring was working, and I noticed the Brake pin from the CAR is pushed in!

I haven't had a chance to open the car plug yet, I hope its easy to pull out the circular connector.