Boat trailer rules

NaClH2OK9

This seems to have been on the cards for a while.

http://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/boattrailers

On 1 July 2016, the Impounding Act 1993 was amended by the Impounding Amendment (Unattended Boat Trailers) Act 2015 to allow councils and impounding authorities to ‘opt in’ to take impounding action against boat trailers parked for more than 28 days.

This change is to enable councils to improve the management of boat trailer parking on residential streets and encourage the use of off-street storage.

In any area where the provisions are applied, boat trailers must move at least every 28 days at least as far as a different block section of the same street.

Council must provide notice of at least 15 days before impounding a trailer.

The new measures will not apply to boat trailers where a residential parking permit has been issued by council and is displayed on the boat trailer.

This complements changes to give councils discretion to issue resident parking permits for boat trailers under Roads and Maritime Services Guidelines, and the power to issue penalty notices for unregistered vehicles.

The Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight, the Hon Duncan Gay MLC, has set aside around $5 million as part of the NSW Boating Now program to help deliver new boat trailer parking solutions. Transport for NSW will provide further details shortly about how councils and other organisations can apply for funding.

Phased roll out of the new powers

From July 2016, three council areas where unattended boat trailers are of concern will participate in a program to pilot the new measures, to ensure that the effectiveness of the initial implementation is thoroughly assessed. These councils are:

Canada Bay City Council

Northern Beaches Council (former Pittwater LGA area only); and

Woollahra Municipal Council

From 1 October 2016, additional councils that have appropriately consulted with their communities may commence implementation of the measures in nominated areas. Lessons from the pilot will be used to ensure effective implementation.

Councils requiring additional time for community consultation may begin in early 2017.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

This seems to have been on the cards for a while.

http://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/boattrailers

In any area where the provisions are applied, boat trailers must move at least every 28 days at least as far as a different block section of the same street.

Council must provide notice of at least 15 days before impounding a

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Not that it affects me but how do they prove you didn't use it in 28days, eg if I take it out night fishing and then return before sunrise. It was moved more than a block but is now back in the same parking spot?

It will force a few boat to be sold, I know of heaps of boats than look like they haven't moved for years, tyres flat, leaves and branches in boat, as covers ripped, gutter blocked by leaves as tyres are flat blocking gutter, unregistered possible?

I think in some areas this is a good rule. In Sydney there are a lot of neighborhoods where parking is a Sh*t fight. I lived on a road that was like this for a few months in Drummoyne and had 3 boats parked on it that never seemed to move. It does agitate people. On the flip side Sydney is so freaking expensive for storage and services of that nature boat owners must be between a rock and a hard place. As more and more apartments go up in central Sydney it makes the problem a lot worse and boats sitting around taking up parks is agitating to people and agitated people harass MP's and Councillors.

As a Boaty I would never buy a house that I could not park my car off the road. Had some major Sh*t fights with the wife when we last went house hunting. 3 of her favorite houses were not boat friendly. Happy wife happy life, for sure, but not at the expense of my boat!!!