Fixing up my tinnie

Rob92j

Hi this is my first post on here and I need some help.

I bought an old tinnie and me and my mate are fixing it up, there isn't a lot of room on the boat and we were looking at cutting back the aluminium top that is at the front of the boat to make some more room. We don't want to remove it all just about 300mm of it, will that affect the structural integrity of the boat?

Thanks

Rob first up welcome to the site. If the boat is ribbed it won't have a lot of effect, if the boat doesn't have cross ribs going up the side of the boat it will have an effect and care should be taken before you start chopping bits out of the boat.

Where do you live ? IF not too far away from Berala/ Lidcombe I could come and have a look at it and perhaps offer some advice face to face.

cheers Frank

I'm not sure it's a good idea to remove part of the structure like that. Not only could it weaken the boat, I'm not sure what is to be gained. You can sit on top of this section if it's calm, it creates a dry area to store equipment and it goes some way to keep spray and water out of the boat.

Edited by kingfishbig

I'm not sure it's a good idea to remove part of the structure like that. Not only could it weaken the boat, I'm not sure what is to be gained. You can sit on top of this section if it's calm, it creates a dry are to store equipment and it goes some way to keep spray and water out of the boat.

Agree with this.

Also if you get an electric motor, you'd mount it up there. Can put a hatch on the bow to allow for easy access/storing equipment.

I think the best option to make more room on a small boat is to put in a flat floor + casting deck. It really does make a huge difference in a small tinny.