Blackfishing rods/blanks

adkel53

I am looking to purchase (or have custom made) a new rod for blackfishing from the rocks and river breakwalls. My custom made Snyder Glas HHGT (which I had owned for about twenty years and doubled as a great light weight beach rod) recently came to an untimely end when I drove under a low branch with it strapped to the roof racks. I was a sad day indeed!!

Can any one point me in the right direction for a replacement? Off the shelf or a suitable blank to have made up. Low or mid mount suggestions both welcomed. The HHGT blanks are still available but not sure if they have the same specs as my original. Best price I have seen for them is $180 so up there in price.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kel

Edited by kel

Guest Lord Loser

If that is the only blank you can find mate, grab it !!!!

Blanks are becoming rare, I've built about 20 new blackfish rods over the years, the last 18 months all the rods I have re built are old blackfish rods friends of friends want brought back to life due to being impossible to find the old school blanks anymore.

There is new rods out and about, but when it comes to a good rock hopping blackfish rod that can take a knock and lift a fish with ease you can`t beat the old school blanks :)

I recently upgraded my blackfish rod and reel setup but I am yet to try it out.

I tend to go for the cheap versions and they work just as good.

I had to order a blackfish rod and reel from Queensland from a Tweed heads tackle shop and get it posted to me all up rod and reel cost me about $120 including shipping.

Its only used and made for Blackfish,so is the reel.

I say this because I remember one day down the south coast i was only going to fish for surface fish with a spin reel and rod and the conditions were perfect for blackfish so i set up my spin rod and reel for blackfish and it was the best session i had,caught lots of big blackfish on a rod that was not suited for ludrick.

Edited by D.G

I've recently been in the same situation and done a lot of searching for the right blank.

I settled on a Mag Bream 136, which I'm going to extend the butt by 30cm.

Ross from the RodWorks was a big help.

My thread http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=81775

Edited by Green Hornet

Hey I got a Mag Bream from Harboard Tackle shop at Freshwater years and years ago,its a great rod still got it ,still very good condition,was my Blackfish rod up until 1 month ago,not bad usage from a rod,huh ?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lord Loser

D.G mate if you want good usage stats from a rod. I am stil using Dads Sportex 663 from 1964 still going strong still catching fish!

That 663 and a few of LA`s other rods almost ripped a Macca`s height bar off one morning in the drive through, good usage, very resilient and glad I was wearing the brown undies that morning after the bang it made.