Kingfish size limit

Hooked-Up

Guest Guest123456789

I wonder at what point regulations become too restrictive and people ignore the rules altogether? I'd hate to see legal size or bag limits changed and then people start keeping small 50cm rats as a result.

I wonder at what point regulations become too restrictive and people ignore the rules altogether? I'd hate to see legal size or bag limits changed and then people start keeping small 50cm rats as a result.

Unfortunately that is a daily occurrence around my neck of the woods. The DPI issue rules/regulations because IMO the vast majority of anglers are greedy, entitled, dishonest wankers who happily rape the local marine environments for personal gain and need supervision.

They turn up at the ramp with an air of entitlement, launch there boat, whinge/abuse when fisheries, waterways are doing there job protecting them and the resource they are gouging, return to the ramp, leave there rubbish around the ramp and with undersized/protected species on the cleaning table try and justify there catch because they have had to pay for a fishing license. They just don't get it. Id like to say a few are spoiling it for many, but its the other way around. At least in my area. As far as size limits on Kingfish go, Ill leave that to the DPI and CSIRO boffins to work out. All we have to worry about is playing by the rules, and our fishirie will surely increase in quality.

Unfortunately that is a daily occurrence around my neck of the woods. The DPI issue rules/regulations because IMO the vast majority of anglers are greedy, entitled, dishonest wankers who happily rape the local marine environments for personal gain and need supervision.

They turn up at the ramp with an air of entitlement, launch there boat, whinge/abuse when fisheries, waterways are doing there job protecting them and the resource they are gouging, return to the ramp, leave there rubbish around the ramp and with undersized/protected species on the cleaning table try and justify there catch because they have had to pay for a fishing license. They just don't get it. Id like to say a few are spoiling it for many, but its the other way around. At least in my area. As far as size limits on Kingfish go, Ill leave that to the DPI and CSIRO boffins to work out. All we have to worry about is playing by the rules, and our fishirie will surely increase in quality.

Mate, I can sense the passion, frustration and annoyance in your post!

From what little I have seen, I agree, there is unfortunately more than just a few who are adding to the issue.

I do think however, like it is now becoming more widely accepted to put the larger "breeder" Flathead back, I think there needs to be more education/understanding with Kingfish.

If a female will generally breed for the first time at over 80cms, if they're getting taken before this size, surely this means less are getting a chance at breeding, which in turn is affecting the whole Kingfish tree?

Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade , and there's plenty of spades around. I also don't think what I've written is to harsh, it's based purely on my personal experiences. Weather it be blatant or ignorance there are a lot of people doing the wrong thing in my local waters , and I have no patience for them.

There is readily available information on bag limits/sizes etc , theres no excuse.

For all the people doing the right thing, there reward should be sustainable fisheries but the idiots are eroding that notion. If you see someone doing wrong speak up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Edited by Raymondo

Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade , and there's plenty of spades around. I also don't think what I've written is to harsh, it's based purely on my personal experiences. Weather it be blatant or ignorance there are a lot of people doing the wrong thing in my local waters , and I have no patience for them.

There is readily available information on bag limits/sizes etc , theres no excuse.

For all the people doing the right thing, there reward should be sustainable fisheries but the idiots are eroding that notion. If you see someone doing wrong speak up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If you see someone doing the wrong thing then report it!!! We can only lead by example!!!

Guest Guest123456789

Good on you Raymondo for calling it how you see it. Too often political correctness and fear of offending people with the truth stifles important debate and discussion in this country.

I'd being interested to know where you generally fish but appreciate you might not want to reveal. I thin as a general rule the majority of people in Australia are honest, law abiding, courteous and respectful people. Yes the D heads are about but they're proportionally very small.

If the majority are doing the wrong thing I suspect there are reasons why. There is a lot of frustration out there amongst the recreational fishing community. I detect a general feeling our political masters largely ignore us. The Geelong star, proposed Sydney harbour lockouts, commercial over fishing of the Hawkesbury, smaller size limits for commercial fishos, divers being given god like powers on the water, the list goes on.

Now before some grumpy old keyboard warrior unloads, let me make one point clear. In no way am I saying it's an excuse or justification for breaking the rules, it might be some of the reasons why you're seeing some of the behaviour you report though.

Never any excuse for breaking the rules of catches and sizes. I also fish the Illawarra and have only seen a handful of incidences. Seen an undersized King on the tables and raised it with the young fella. Was a genuine mistake and we just suggested that he get the rule book. He was pretty ashamed.

Most of the unsavoury characters who are cheating know they are and hide it so you never see it. They are cunning, sneaky dishonest and despicable.

Hardly ever see fisheries or the maritime cops checking boats. Don't understand why they don't. I fish every weekend and only been stopped on the water once. Never been stopped or checked at the ramp.

Obviously not a high priority for the government.

Never any excuse for breaking the rules of catches and sizes. I also fish the Illawarra and have only seen a handful of incidences. Seen an undersized King on the tables and raised it with the young fella. Was a genuine mistake and we just suggested that he get the rule book. He was pretty ashamed.

Most of the unsavoury characters who are cheating know they are and hide it so you never see it. They are cunning, sneaky dishonest and despicable.

Hardly ever see fisheries or the maritime cops checking boats. Don't understand why they don't. I fish every weekend and only been stopped on the water once. Never been stopped or checked at the ramp.

Obviously not a high priority for the government.

report your problems and you will see results

Seems a bit far fetched when official estimated show a 90% compliance to the regulations for recreational fishing (not sure how you identify a 'sense of entitlement' either). Also the quote is wonderful ammunition for anti fishing groups and marine park advocates who would like to shut us down. Perhaps quietly reporting matters to Fisheries would do more good?

Agree.

Seems a bit far fetched when official estimated show a 90% compliance to the regulations for recreational fishing (not sure how you identify a 'sense of entitlement' either). Also the quote is wonderful ammunition for anti fishing groups and marine park advocates who would like to shut us down. Perhaps quietly reporting matters to Fisheries would do more good?

I cant comment on "official estimates of 90% compliance" when I don't have the data, nor have you provided where you sourced it from. What I can comment on is my personal experiences in my local area. I also feel I should be able to voice my opinion without being accused of playing a part of anti fishing groups "shutting us down", and the suggestion of "quietly reporting matters" , I feel is part of the problem. I have reported happenings in the past to fisheries and also expressed my disappointment to the individual/individuals involved . I have a voice and choose to use it , if you prefer to go about things quietly Kingfishbig then your "ENTITLED" to do so.