Bottom Bash in the rain

recurve

You know that feeling when you are the only boat heading out while boats are coming in?

We launched from Bellambi at around 2pm yesterday. Rain was intermittent and we thought it would be a drizzle at best. Headed up North and as soon as we go to the mark it bucketed down. We have a hard top but you can't fish from under the hardtop. The 9 year old called it and wanted to go back. His mum was out shopping and could not do a boat ramp pick up so he was told to harden up and given a phone to watch You Tube on, into the cabin he went and lay down on the comfy squabs.

I don't bottom bash with baits unless out with kids. Son was retired so I grabbed the bottom bouncer. Quickly picked up a Red of around 44 cm . Then along came a clear patch of weather and a seal who decided to hang with us. We yelled at him and tapped him on the bum but he was not worried and seemed to be taunting us. Then what I feared happened. I got onto a good fish......oh shit. I was using a Back Bone Elite 6 foot 8 - 12kg rod and a 6000 Baitrunner. I cranked up the drag and skull dragged this thing up. When near the surface the seal dove down to get my Snapper and I cranked it! Seriously cranked it. Had a 50cm Snapper launch out of the water and hit me square in the chest gave me a hell of a fright. But I had a whole Snapper!! Caught two more snapper around 40 cm and managed to beat the seal without having them smash into me.

We moved off from the drift to get away from the Seal. The rain came back big time. Caught a good sized Mowie and called it as the rain was pelting.

Came back in the pouring rain with poor viz, was very pretty and quite surreal. My crew were freezing cold and bit miserable. I was fine as have a proper Sailing Jacket which lets no water or wind through.

I will now never cancel a trip due to rain. I will however ensure that crew must wear the right gear for the conditions.

Had a great time, what a difference being warm makes.

Total tally was 4 Snapper and 1 Mowie. Could have been more but we called it early. No photos as the boy had the phone watching You Tube the whole time.

Illawarra fished really well on sunday, post full moon,barometer very active and overcast conditions were prime. Pitty about the lack of current.

Reports of quite a few 5kg reds being taken off kiama. I boated half a dozen 3kg mowies and panny reds.

Also rats kings off the blowhole point. Fly fisherman were into them as well as salmon.

Love fishing out of bellambi but i cant deal with the boat ramp anymore its basically a sydney boat ramp these days. Too many people not my thing.

Guest Guest123456789

Great read, thanks for sharing. Snapper in the chest, never heard of that before. I'd rather cop a snapper in the head than have a bloody seal pinch it.

Nice going Recurve, I've always done well in the rain. Is there any algae hanging around off bellambi? The algae off kiama was pretty bad last week . The bottom dwellers were off the bite , however the salmon are surface feeding in large numbers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Jeez these seals seem to be a real pest at this time of year! Nice one beating the seal to the prize, happy to hear you slugged some good fish despite the weather.

Thanks mate. They are just like dogs. Like the fact that they seem to have a sense of humour.

Nice going Recurve, I've always done well in the rain. Is there any algae hanging around off bellambi? The algae off kiama was pretty bad last week . The bottom dwellers were off the bite , however the salmon are surface feeding in large numbers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I think there is a bit of Algae, bit slippery but not too bad. Jetty side of Bellambi has risen with Sand again so a trap for new players at low tide again.