Salmon Are Thinning, But Are Still There

Narralakes

Headed out early this morning to try and get to North Head b4 the crowds, but by the time I got there at 5.30 there were already a couple of boats. Conditions were ok, a little bumpy though, SE winds and a slightly choppy swell. Anyhow, the salmon were there, but they didnt seem in big numbers and schools were flighty. Managed a couple on the 7 wt though but they were gone, or I didnt see any more, after 7.30. Spot X didnt produce any fish and no salmon schools came past like the last couple of times. Saw McGill troll up a couple inside, but no one else seemed to be scoring, headed in at 10.30 after drifting around Dobroyd for half an hour for 6 pike on the sinking fly. Saw Swoffa at the Spit, get many Andrew? An ok day and at least a couple of fish.

cheers

Edited by Narralakes

thanks Dave

Hi Howard,

the boat would probably prefer a calm lake or river, but can go outside in the right conditions, just have to be selective and careful. As for the kings, Iv'e scored my first 3 kings on fly just a few weeks ago, but looking forward to tangling with bigger models. I'm happy to catch any fish on fly really, but the salmon are certainly on my favourites list now.

cheers

Ken congrats on getting some Salmon & Kings mate. Well done. I highly recommend targetting Striped Tuna on fly & there should be some about now or in the near future.

They are EXCELLENT fun on fly & I preferred those on fly to either Kings or salmon. The first run is a screamer & they are a top sportsfish.

Well done Ken

Had a look this morning around Barenjoey, Box Head and Pittwater but didnt do any good except for a couple of Pike. Still a bit of slop left over early but it died off for a while and then came in a little harder.

Trolled arong the joey for a hour right on sun up with a cd7 & 9, got a couple of pike. Then went over to Box Head to see if there was anything tucked in out of the wind, trolled cd's again, a couple of flies but nothing! Birds where around but not working on anytying I could see.

Then went into Pittwater trolled the Pike around for a while around stokes pt then threw sp at a couple of yachts

Then home, oh well

Guest bluecod

Well done Ken.

The rain came in early at home so didn't get the edging done for the :wife:[garden] then a mate came over so we discussed the weather at his joint over lunch, a few beers and a few bottles of red so it could have been a lot worse!

Gotta get back out there and crack a few fish rather than a few cans

BTW that looks like a fairly solid sambo :thumbup:

CFD,

when the fish disappeared from North Head I was going to head over to Rose Bay mid-morning, but thought it was a bit of a hike, never fished there but heard it can turn it on. Maybe next time, I heard the kings get there too.

Patl,

I fished the Pittwater 2 weeks ago, scored a bit fat 0, never have really done any good there, not half as good as the harbour anyway, but you guys who fish it a bit probably know where and when to go. Barrenjoey and the places you mention have to have fish, but I havnt heard many reports about it lately, apart from Peter LB who is a guide there, he is the Pittwater king. Anyhow, better luck next time.

George,

it was a big salmon and took me down to the backing, took a while to get in as well, I reckon pushing 2+ kgs, great fight as always. Hope they are still around for a while. Sounds like you had a nice relaxing day anyhow.

cheers

Good stuff Ken, nice to see a few more salmon falling to the long wand. Very consistent results.

What sort of fly/flies have you been using on the sambo's of late?

Hopefully they'll stick around for you, it sounds like your having a ball targeting them.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Great report Ken, lets hope the Salmon stay around in big numbers for a few more months and your day out was their day off.

Cheers

G day Ken went out with Mark but didnt see you. It was tough fishing yesterday those schools were real hard work. Planing on hitting a bit wider for some S.T so ill let you now if your keen to come.

Salmon have a decent first run, so if the stripeys go harder, they will definitely be fun!

Ken trust me mate a decent Stripey would tow a salmon backwards with ease :biggrin2: & at 4 times the speed :biggrin2: Salmon are fun but you will enjoy a Striped Tuna a LOT more. Bonito are OK but again not in the same league as Stripeys.

I'll give you a tip with Stripeys mate - ALWAYS make sure your retreived line is clear it tends to leave at a very rapid pace :biggrin2:

Guest bluecod

Its been a long time since I caught a mack as small as inshore stripies and recently they've both been a by catch when targetting larger species and no match for the tackle in use at the time.

Furthermore, not having caught either a striped or mack tuna on fly what would be the prefered fish on fly, and why?

Hi Bluecod,

I can vouch that my personal preference is Stripeys as opposed to Macks,I have an old 10 Composite Developments (Built by Peter Morse) ,this thing is pretty soggy and when faced with the straight up and down slogging stuff that Macks can do at times ,it is like trying to fight a fish with 1kg-Why bother!.The stripeys for the most part tend to stay on the surface ,and there is nothing like the feeling when you connect and they shake there heads before hitting there after burners .Saying that ,when the macks are around 8kg and crashing bait it is pretty hard to resist throwing everything at them! :yahoo:

Thanks Shane and Martin, salmon are heaps of fun, but by the sounds of it, the stripeys are going to give the 7wt a sizzle! Might have to get the 10 wt re-rigged for them, what flies for them Ken? Or is that in your artilces section?

Phil,

I think I saw you and Mark heading north while I was trying to burley up some kings while at Bower, maybe about 7.30? ST...do you mean stripped tuna? That would be fun, let me know when, I'll see if the boss will let me out. How did you guys go yesterday?

Ken, Jewel,

looks like the 10 wt might get a new intermediate line afterall, that should handle them, sounds like a extra backing job for them.

George,

should see if Trev wants to give them a go, more fly tying by the looks.

Great Work Ken! I'm sure with some perseverence that you will end up landing whatever you target!

.............Just one question, does someone carry you into the boat?...........or do you have admiralty steps :biggrin2:

coz heres you......

and heres me.......

Oh and thats no coincidence that I have a nice fish in the photo :biggrin2:

...didnt want to be upstaged by that nice fat Salmon yourholding :thumbup:

..Well done Mate.....I'm sure your gonna have a great season

In my opinion Striped Tuna are better fighters than Mack Tuna by a decent margin as well. They are faster & hang tougher after the runs finish. I nailed a jumbo Stripey that went 5.4 kilos not long before I left Sydney & it took me 15 minutes longer to land on 10wt fly gear than an 8 kilo Mack Tuna. I'm not putting Macks down they are a great sport fish but Stripeys in my opinion are a fair bit better.

Ken I had plenty of success with the plain old white deceiver. A bit of pink or purple is also good on them as well. At this time of year some very small baitfish imitations are a must. Speed in getting the fly out is extremely important on tuna as is positioning the boat. This time of year schools can often be feeding at 4 or 5 knots so allow for that & give yourself plenty of time to get a cast off & aim well in front of the visible fish.

They can be tough to get a shot at but well worth it. In a percet world they will be on big bait & be in one area chopping away but in my experience pre Xmas Stripies are normally on small crap & moving quick.

I used an intermediate line & it went well. It is really important on fast fish like these that you use a quality line that lays flat on the deck during retreive with no loops or coils sitting up. If it is even slightly prone to this when a Striped Tuna takes off you will end up with a bunch of running line jammed in your stripping guide & a broken leader.

Hey Clutch

I get the wife to piggy back me onto the boat... better change that in case she reads this. Interesting observation of yours, that is just my old pair of steel capped leather boots that I wear. They are comfy and durable, didnt think that much of the fashion, but safety on the boat is important too with hooks and squirming fish jumping about, been poked a few times by gills and fins, rather be in bare feet like yourself, but I'll have to admit, I'm a woose! Nice snapper there mate, rather eat that any day to eating a kahawai, snapper give a good fight too, although harder to catch on fly.

Ken,

making me think about those stripeys, I'll be on the lookout for them in the future. Do they like the Pittwater or Harbour more? Deceivers and intermediate line, have to line that up for the 10 wt.

cheers

Guest bluecod

Sounds like December is the go for the stripeys then.

Ken,

I've had sessions where Broken Bay has been lousy with Macks and West Reef has been alive with schools of stripies - the only problem I was fishing spin tackle and the size difference in the fish was huge, not allowing a real comparison - therefore the question!

I head the big kings go for salmon, I know of someone who live baits with salmon to go for monster kings, imagine one of those on the end of your rod! Might have to tie a huge fly to try and catch one myself.

Sounds like everyone likes the stripes George, dont think I can make west reef in the tinny though.

Guest bluecod

Sounds like everyone likes the stripes George, dont think I can make west reef in the tinny though.

Nope! but when things warm up a touch, there's no reason why mine won't make it, getting back is even easier with a warm Nor'easter behind you :thumbup: