Hawkesbury this weekend - Finding live bait

Wellzy94

Hey Raiders! Back with another question (I'm still new - sorry!)

I'll be first-time captain of a boat this weekend and I'm looking for some places near Brooklyn/Little Wobby to find some live bait in the hopes of chasing Jewfish. I've got plans for pumping nippers and flicking squid jigs, but I'm completely lost as to what I should be looking for to get some livebaits (poddy, yellowtail etc).

Hoping to have a good mix of baits, including strips of mullet and bonito I have in the freezer.

Thanks in advance!

Wellzy

Any of the rocky outcrops like west head, flint and steel should hold yakkas. Burley up see if any come in the trail. You can catch squid just as you enter pittwater behind the lighthouse. Look for the weed beds. Try dropping a livey at Juno point around the tide changes! If your looking for flatties try drifting little hungry bay flicking plastics, don't think I've ever missed there!

Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!'

Hi Mate - squid off Palm Beach golf course, although we have had more luck off Currawong & Mackerel Beaches. Poddy mullet will show up in numbers in the next few weeks. Nippers in Careel Bay or Dangar Is. Yakkas West Head or the Seaplane jetty in Careel Bay or the wreck @ Clareville.

Good luck!

Think about where you plan to fish before you get your bait- yakka's are a bait of last resort for jew for me, squid when downstream of the bridges is the way to go and upstream I reckon tailor or herring. Hardest part is catching small but legal tailor. Herring are very easy on sabiki jigs around the bridge pylons and channel markers. Smaller sabikis are better. Don't get lazy and fish with 2nd hand bait if you want jew in the Hawkes