Sp Virginity Busting Goodness

LEELEE

Early on in the week I had planned to take a mate for his first SP fishing experience. He had never fished with sps ever and had never really used light gear to tackle bream. The plan was for me to basically guide and help him with tying rigs, explaining certain retrieves and explaining that with the lure we were using ( not bass minnows ) that most of the fish fall victim to them on the drop. I also told him we would bring some bait along so if he did not get any fish on sps he could throw some bait on a jig head and twitch the bait the same way as the sp ( this was to get his confidence up ).

Well we decided to leave late at around 5:45am, but as it appeared the rain had set in we made a decision to give it a miss :1badmood:

After about an hour the sky’s cleared and I was keen to fish but had no one to fish with at such short notice and it was to early to ring most people. I called Swoffa and thought about fishing the ausbream at Roseville but decided by the time i left Richmond and got to Roseville it would have been after 8. Swoffa gave me the heads up on the weather ( thanks mate :thumbup: ) and I decided to call my mate and tell him we were on for the half a day.

So we made a quick trip to Berowra and put the boat in and started targeting the shore line. My mate hade never flicked an sp ever so I was giving him some of my knowledge hoping he would land his first fish on sp. I thought a flattie would be the target species for him. Well I got it all wrong. After half a dozen casts he got smoked by a monster bream and was sh*tting himself about the force the bream hit lures with. After being smoked 2 more times he finally wrestled an angry bream out from some mangroves that went around 26cm to the fork. He was stoked and I was even happier to have put him onto a bream within 30 mins of flicking his first ever sp.

Then wind later picked up and made fishing very uncomfortable for where we were. We found a nice bay and fished baits for a while for a few fish and got smoked by something that hit the bait like a freight train and almost snapped my mates new struddy.

I ended up with the obligatory legal flathead ( I always get them ) and a handful of small bream due to the lack of lure time in the water. I had more fun explaing and teaching my mate the techniques and the locations of where the fish.

He had a great session and I told him " Welcome to the SP addiction "

Cheers

Lee

Edited by leelee

Great stuff Lee. :thumbup:

When I started my mate on SP's he absolutely smashed my days fishing. He kept getting the horses while I got JACK! :074: