Parabolic action rod. What does it mean for you?

savit

While reading about different rod suggestions on the AU fishing forums, I quite often meet 'nice parabolic action' or similar word description for the rods.

This rod description / suggestions often related to both slower action rods e.g longer luderick rod and to faster action e.g short lure casting rods - despite the purpose and action of these rods are quite different.

So, how do you understand parabolic action rod and when do you think it suits the best?

Thank you.

Parabolic action usually refers to a gradual even load along the entire length of the blank and as I understand or it bends at an even rate from tip to butt. It will have minimum lifting power. It's a term of term used for slit can fly rods. Most older luderick rods have this action the newer ones not so much. A soft red acts as a shock absorber like a big spring, when playing big luderick this can be very useful to cushion those surging runs. In flushing it usually means your presenting a delicate dey or nymph.

Edited by luderick -angler

These parabolic allowed my daughter to take on big fish at a very young age due to the amount of lifting power you can apply to tough fish like kingfish without putting the hurt on the angler. She now uses these short parabolic rods on bigger game like tuna and billfish, the leverage brings the power closer to your body rather than the tip of the rod.

Jon

_MG_4644_zpsea97b032.jpg

_MG_3027_1_zpse9b3991a.jpg

fish3_zpsa7267879.jpg

Heres my daughter having a go with the old gear compared to the new ultra light parabolic rods. Most of our rods weigh less than 300g and some have over 30kg of dead lift power. And some funky music!!!

Jon

Edited by JonD

At a basic level a parabola is a curve which, from a set distance away from its axis will be equal. (in terms of angle etc.) So a parabolic action rod will have roughly the same amount of bend either side of its midpoint, as you can see in the photos above (photos of some very nice fish may I add!) Inpractical terms this should allow for the load to be spread evenly across the whole rod, making lifting etc. easier (as the video shows).

As for what type of rod this woud apply to, in more whippy rods the parabolic action will be more apparent, however it is also what those super light graphite bream sticks use, as they bend all the way (although the bend is less apparent). This is also why you shouldn't hold those light rods too far above the grips, as doing so stops the weight being evenly distrubuted, often leaking to breakage. On the other hand, if you take a look at some fibreglass rods (especially 2 piece ones), you may notice that the tip section can bend almost 360 degrees, while the base has little to no movement. This is an example of non-parabolic action.

I hope this clears some things up and explains what Jon and luderick angler have already posted. Tight lines and happy fishing!

As for what type of rod this woud apply to, in more whippy rods the parabolic action will be more apparent, however it is also what those super light graphite bream sticks use, as they bend all the way (although the bend is less apparent). This is also why you shouldn't hold those light rods too far above the grips, as doing so stops the weight being evenly distrubuted, often leaking to breakage. On the other hand, if you take a look at some fibreglass rods (especially 2 piece ones), you may notice that the tip section can bend almost 360 degrees, while the base has little to no movement. This is an example of non-parabolic action.

I hope this clears some things up and explains what Jon and luderick angler have already posted. Tight lines and happy fishing!

Thank you Ivo for the explanation.

Why would be parabolic action required in those mentioned super light graphite bream sticks - to avoid rod damage under load? to cast further the lightest lures? anything else?

I prefer stiffer/faster light rods as it is easier to set the hook and work the lures.