What size boat for reef fishing around Airlie

Fishop

Im moving up to the Airlie area at the end of the year for work and am thinking about buying a fishing boat. Never owned one but looking to get into a bit more reef fishing. Wondering what size boat and motor I could get away with up that way taking into consideration the weather etc. Any tips?

Edited by Fishop

Something that's going to provide you with safety where you're fishing. Remember that conditions can change quickly, so something with high sides and a suitable and reliable motor. Minimum I'd suggest of 4.2m with a 50 HP motor, aluminium should be a starting point, I reckon. Good luck with the move and keep the reports coming to let us all know how you go. Cheers.

I used my formula 15 (same hull as a Haines 445) up around there in quite windy conditions and always felt very safe. There's plenty of protection around the islands, saying that I used that same boat down here in Narooma up to 45 km offshore.

Jon

Edited by JonD

• 3 months later...

Congratulations on the boat, looks awsome. As for the south easterlys, I was up north mid winter and got hammered by SE winds, I found heading offshore taking the sea side on not to bad. The first part of the holiday I had a few days heading straight out but had to give up And launch further sout at Port Douglas then heading north out to sea I could manage to get out to the reefs 40k offshore ( boat was a 550 pro zodiac)