Fishing at bobbin

White_lion

Been going out on the yak at apple tree bay last summer and start of spring this year and had no luck, been told to go catch some live bait but I just can't seem to catch squid, is there yakkas or any other source of live bait around there I can catch?

That's were i first took my yak last year, but haven't looked back since finding better water. I couldn't find livies during my trips but there should be some about. Burley would be key id assume.

Turn up stream from the marina at bobbin head, it shallows out so less/no salmon etc, but it's nice water for other species.

I have trouble fishing downstream of bobbin unless the fish bust up, it's relatively featureless. It will take a few trips to even start to learn that system

I'd have a guess that maybe near the boat moorings near the boat ramp might be worth a shot for livies. Haven't tried myself though.

I've only fished upstream generally past the marina. The flats are a pretty good bet for whiting on surface lures and lots of bream around the edges.

Go to Waratah bay at night heaps of yakkas everywhere, they normallly active at night.

Last night caught 4 hairtails but they came late around 1am came in thick right on the surface. There were 2 other boats going for hairtails as well with glow sticks. Few stonker breams around as well

Plenty of poddy mullet at the canoe launch at the bridge at bobbin itself- there are also plenty of yakkas around the wharf. Very easy to trap poddies on the flats upstream from the marina- the canoe launch area is better than the boatramp if you are heading in that direction anyway

2nd the poddy mullet suggestion. you can get squid by the boat ramp, under the lights, at night. Actually, most of Hawkesbury bays with sandy weedy edges hold at least a few squid. I've never caught yellow tail down there on purpose but am pretty sure one of the spots they like to hang is the point, has red marker bouy directly opposite Apple Tree Bay. If you're on a kayak, it's an easy spot to tie up and fish from the shore.

you don't need live bait to catch fish there though. Plenty of flathead on the sandy drop offs of almost all the bays - soft plastics. Early morning there's good bream along the shore. You can go either direction from Apple Tree Bay, or launch at Bobbin Head and paddle down river. Lightly weighted soft plastics and little hard bodies. At night, if you head downriver from Apple Tree Bay and drift along the shore you can catch bream most times. I'm bait-lazy, have always used unweighted pilchard bits for this.

• 1 month later...

Cheers guys,still havnt put any of these to use yet but have been using crabs and only a little luck. Hooked on my first soapy the other night but when landed it it thrashed and my line came undone on the hook :( about 50cm

still struggling to find a few spots on the yak