Cleaning dull exterior & scuff marks off aly boat

billthedrill

Hey peeps!

Looking for some assistance I have just purchased a boat it's a 2005 tabs territory pro. Generally in good condition but lived on the water. Motor was flushed after every use (thankfully) but the paintwork on the hull is looking dull and there is clearly signs of salt on the exterior (you can feel it when you wipe your hands over the hull).

Any suggestions on how to get that paint work clean so it can "pop" again?

I have read about salt-away and toilet cleaner... any suggestions on these too?

Also have a few blue scuff marks from pontoons any suggestions on how to remove these without damaging the paintwork or leaving obvious blotches?

Cheers

Hey peeps!

Looking for some assistance I have just purchased a boat it's a 2005 tabs territory pro. Generally in good condition but lived on the water. Motor was flushed after every use (thankfully) but the paintwork on the hull is looking dull and there is clearly signs of salt on the exterior (you can feel it when you wipe your hands over the hull).

Any suggestions on how to get that paint work clean so it can "pop" again?

I have read about salt-away and toilet cleaner... any suggestions on these too?

Also have a few blue scuff marks from pontoons any suggestions on how to remove these without damaging the paintwork or leaving obvious blotches?

Cheers

I'd give it a good machine buff after giving it a good Pressure wash first with cutting compound followed by a good polish and wax.

Giving that you probably don't own a buff or pressure washer you can get similar results using the hose and good old elbow grease with a few rags to remove the layer of oxidised paint and the pontoon scrapes you describe with the added bonus that you won't buff through the paint with the machine or blast away any decals with the pressure washer or loose paint.

Any car auto stores will have the required products, it doesn't have to be a marine store.

Just by some rubbing compound,polish and wax and your on your way to a shiny paint job.

Hope this helps and would you be able to put up a few photos so others can see what your talking about.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply.

The cutting compound sounds like the right approach. I've got a pressure washer but no machine buffer. I'll be pulling up the floor starting with a good clean all round with the washer prior to moving to polishing the exterior.

There are some yellowish stains on the aluminium on the base of the hull would the cutting compound work on this? I feel the cutting compound will work well on the paint just not sure about using it on the base of the hull im thinking it might leave the aluminium looking dull. Thoughts on this?

Will post some pics of the scuffs on the paint next time I have the cover off.

Treat it a s a show car, give it a good wash (hand wash with soap & sponge so that you can feel if you have missed a spot) then polish. after that keep the polish up to it with the smooth polished surface it wont scratch as easy when rubbing against a jetty.

Thanks for the reply.

The cutting compound sounds like the right approach. I've got a pressure washer but no machine buffer. I'll be pulling up the floor starting with a good clean all round with the washer prior to moving to polishing the exterior.

There are some yellowish stains on the aluminium on the base of the hull would the cutting compound work on this? I feel the cutting compound will work well on the paint just not sure about using it on the base of the hull im thinking it might leave the aluminium looking dull. Thoughts on this?

Will post some pics of the scuffs on the paint next time I have the cover off.

Don't worry if you don't have a buffing machine,do it by hand with a few rags.As for the bare aluminium there's a stack of products that you can use but the compound will remove those yellow marks on the bare hull applied with grey scotchbrite or 0000 steel wool and a water bottle.

Heck you can even use cheapo toothpaste if you want for that minty taste as both the compound and toothpaste has grit in them to restore the oxidised surface of the aluminium,Brasso or many other products.

Otherwise I have had success using a store bought aluminium cleaner such as the one pictured which again you'll find in the auto stores.post-20199-0-52159000-1476578077_thumb.jpg

Good luck.

another make your own car polish is baby powder mixed to a paste with water, Ive never used it but know of panel beaters that have.

For bare Aluminium get yourself a product called "autosol" thats the best shine you will get on your alloy.

Brett

Thought I would add some photos of the scuffs...

4bc86dc06351a324e483c70db71f1d34.jpg

f641e3f0b09ee9cef4df6797f64bb59d.jpg

bae509f6512d6c62df1f25ef5f92d957.jpg

Clearly the last owner has used something very abrasive and has taken off some of the paint as can be seen in picture 3. Don't want this to happen when trying to remove the rest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate for the paint work try going to one of your local panel beaters I've had similar things past and fix up the $50-$100 save you a lot of time and mucking about. Just a thought.

I like that time saving option thanks for the advice.