Sydney FAD deployed

ACJ

G'Day All,

Long time reader of this very helpful forum, decided that this season was the time to start to make some contributions as well!

I notice on the DPI website that the Sydney FAD has been re-deployed for summer. I've often heard it said that each season it takes a little while for the barnacles, weed, general sea-life to build up on the thing enough to do its job of attracting and holding the Mahi. I'm interested in when people think is early enough in the season to make the trip out? It's a long way in a small boat for nada, especially when the Kings seem to have moved in close already!

Cheers for your help in advance,

AJ

Give or take a month for the fish to start holding.

The Mahi follow the currents down, so if there isn't a warm water current pushing near the fad then they won't ever find it.

Last season the Botany Fad was a dead zone, I made about 8 trips out for 0 and didn't hear of anyone else catching there either. I think that was partially attributed to the fact that it had been blown away 5 times and never stayed put long enough to hold fish.

On 10/25/2016 at 9:04 AM, amkr said:

Give or take a month for the fish to start holding.

The Mahi follow the currents down, so if there isn't a warm water current pushing near the fad then they won't ever find it.

Last season the Botany Fad was a dead zone, I made about 8 trips out for 0 and didn't hear of anyone else catching there either. I think that was partially attributed to the fact that it had been blown away 5 times and never stayed put long enough to hold fish.

Is that right?  Only went out there once after a few very difficult sessions and the Sydney FAD where there seemed to be raging currents most days I went out... made it difficult to fish. I got fish from the Sydney FAD though so it wasn't all bad news but I drew a blank at the Botany Bay FAD.

Lets hope for a better result this year.

The FADS in Sydney are in my opinion too close in , they get over run by rat dollies by about Xmas (earlier if water temp is OK) and then they get hammered by hundred s of boats. Your best bet for keeper dollies is to be on the FAD before sun up or even better find some fishtraps and have them to yourself (there are even a few homemade FADS out there every year and if you find one they are great because they tend to be set out in 150-200 M of water rather than the 80-100M the fisheries FADS are in). Current is not a problem for dollies as long as its running south also livies will get you a better class of fish , the bigger ones can often be off the FAD by up to a kilometer and they are boat shy so driving up to the FAD is a no no, get up current , switch off the motor and drift down, stickbaits are my go to lure and have at times outfished the livies but a livie hanging out the back keeps the dollies fired up. Good luck

10 minutes ago, amkr said:

There is quite a few FAD's off sydney. 

Botany wide and hacking are usually deployed in around 150m of water. The close one near the peak is in 90-100ish usually.

What you're saying lines up with what I heard last year - pretty much go find some private Fads and you'll have better luck.

I made a few trips to the close in FAD towing lures for donuts, made a single trip to the hacking wide for the same success. I think I'll do more morning runs out and try the botany wide this year.

Good tips on the current and livies, I'll give it a crack!

Take squishy with you she catches the fish :1prop:

Thanks heaps for all the help guys! Boat isn't al that big so Sydney FAD is probably as far wide as I feel uncomfortable so I'll just have to try my luck with all the others! I'll be taking heaps of live squid, I'll always load up the night before and keep the tank running, so hopefully that gives me the edge!

Edited by ACJ