boat anchoring at beeches

robertye112

Hi All,

My first post here, my names Robert and I'm getting my boat license next week and a boat within the next few months :) I was looking at all the different beaches and inshore reefs I want to take my boat too, when I wondered, am I allowed to just pull up to any beach and anchor my boat? I'm 99% sure the answer to that is no, so I wanted to know which beaches can I pull into and anchor and which ones I can't? Also, is there some sort of unspoken rule that if there are people at the beach it's common courtesy not to do it? Thanks,

Wattamolla beach NSW is an example where I would love to anchor on the beach but it seems like there are too many people and that it might be illegal or at least frowned upon.

Cheers,

-Rob

Dont believe their is any law around what beach you can anchor at but theirs plenty of rules around interaction with swimmers etc in the water, get the boat licence handbook from the RMS and read it thoroughly heaps of info in their and gives you all the rules and regs you need to know  

Hi Rob & welcome to Fishraider

Think you pretty free to anchor up at any beach you like, but be aware of keeping the correct distance from swimmmers etc.

Also be aware (if you are new to boating) of how you anchor - not sure whether you are anchoring just off the beach in couple of meters of water or whether you plan to stick your bow on the beach and place your anchor in the dry sand up on the beach. If its the latter, be aware of the action of tide and waves as boats can come to grief being nose up on sand if they swing around and get a bit sideways to the incoming waves and end up being swamped. 

Cheers Blood Knot

When ever I have anchored at a beach for lunch, I drop anchor about 6m to 10m from the shore and feed the rope out and go nose in, unload the kids, wife and food.

i the push the boat back and spin around and back it in and tilt the motor.

tie off the anchor and jump out the back with another rope and either tie off to a tree or use my spare anchor and secure it in the sand.

boat stays floating, no water over the transome and if it's a rising tide I periodically left more anchor rope out.

if it's heading to low tide I leave the boat a little deeper to start with.

i do have a bowrider which makes access to the front easy.

you can buy bungy anchor ropes which makes it easier again,

• Thanks 1

Hi Mate, saw your post- I wouldnt be trying Wattamolla until you have a lot of experience- that beach is exposed to ocean swells and your anchoring would need to be spot on over the sand bottom thats there- big anchor, lots of chain and lots of rode out

In the hawksbury you are aloud to pull up at any beach as far as I know, I used to camp at spring beach years ago until one morning I was awoken by several kids. I got told I couldnt stay there no longer by the people who run the camp as it is managed by them.

Depending how long you are staying on the beach and how heavy your boat you could maybe park the nose.

I usually let people off then anchor the boat about 5 meters from the beach and just wade to shore.

I have seen people run to anchors one at the bow and transom when they leave there boats parked overnight.

We used to anchor on the swimming beach at Clontarf beach. Always boats pulled up there and kids got a real buzz, Just make sure your anchor and chain does not take out any kids running around. Would make a nasty stubbed tow injury.