Fishing with 4 kids under 10

JJAfelice

Hi All, 

just a quick intro.

43 year old sydneysider, grew up in Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. Fished since a youngster typically around port botany, especially liked when you could fish at the end of the container wharf. 

have fished off the rocks chasing kingies around little bay in my early and mid 20's,   best fish to date was a 120kg striped marlin up at south west rocks years ago.

Now with 4 kids aged 11, 8, 8 and 6,  my fishing involves rigging their rods and baiting hooks.  I enjoy seeing them fish, and get off their electronic devices, but hopefully as they get abit older I can actually do some fishing myself. 

Now living in the sutherland shire,  Port hacking has all my attention, and would like to get in to Kayak fishing, up either the Woronora River, or the Hacking.

However at the moment I am living my fishing dreams through reports and stories  I see here. 

Cheers

Jason

Edited by JJAfelice

Thanks for welcome, 

so my biggest issue trying to fish now is finding somewhere I can spread out my kids and wife so they can't get their fair patch of clean water and not get snagged up every cast.

Swallow rock reserve has been done and was successful , I tried warumbul reserve but a lot of snags for the kids last weekend , any other suggestions?

jason  

Hi Jason , Give Gunamatta Bay a go with the kids . Excellent place for whiting & a Great place for the kids to swim around Once the water warms up a bit ...

Hi Jason,

Can certainly relate to the decline in fishing time with the young family. All past me now but I remember it well.

Welcome to the site and we look forward to hearing from you again.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Welcome aboard Jason, I often fish with 3 kids under 10 (9.5,8 &4).

best investment was a bait pump for pumping nippers, this keeps them entertained for a fair while and then using the nippers as bait add extra excitement to the fishing.

the bream and whiting love it so there is plenty of hook ups for the kids on light gear.

im on the other side of Sydney so don't know any spots down there, but understand the need to keep the apart when fishing.

It's never easy with young kids, they just don't seem to have the patience any more, and even with them catching fish i have to hope all of them catch and not just one or two of them.

We were up at bobbin head a few weeks ago for lunch , lots of nice spots around the marina it's a shame it takes 1.5 hours to get there. 

Closer to home I have to try bundeena sand flats on a low tide.  Some nippers and then try to keep clear of the boating traffic. 

Jason

Edited by JJAfelice

Gday there.

ive got a few young ones that come fishing with me and the Woronora is a great place for a few fish with the kids. 

I always take the kids down mainbar to pump nippers and the kids never want to come home they are having that much fun. 

Cheers 

On 28/10/2016 at 7:51 PM, JJAfelice said:

Around the shark nets? Haven't been there in a while.

Was also thinking about picnic point reserve  or even wallys wharf, can't remember how big that is however haven't been there in over 25 years

Further up .. Just before the Fisheries .There's a nice little beach with a rocky platform on the right hand side as you walk down the hill.... It was one of my favourite spots to fish with the kids until the bigger boat came along.

• 2 weeks later...