Looking for someone to show me what im doing wrong with catching fish

Rickstewart

Hi guys my name is rick im from western sydney,the family and i love fishing we have just purchased a brand new tomahawk 550 135hp honda and love to go fishing but as the saying goes "all the gear and no idea" haha,we have recently been on the harbour and also out in the hawkesbury using fresh bait always and we seem to spend hrs on the water not catching a thing,was hoping there was someone keen to explain or show us where we r going wrong

Any help would be great as we love fishing as a family but are pretty hopeless at it hahah

Thanks guys and awsum forum by the way

• Scratchie featured and unfeatured this topic

Welcome to Fishraider Rick (and family). I live too far from Sydney to be able to give "hands on" advice. Nevertheless there are a few thing which I could suggest, that may help. Not only is it important to target an area where you are likely to find your target species but fishing when the fish are likely to be feeding is important too. Most species will feed when the tide is running and not static. Also adding a berley trail into the water can bring fish to where you're fishing. Anchor up (or drift) and have the current take your berley along with it. Simple as dicing some pilchards and throwing the pieces in regularly will get the fish interested. Fish as light as possible for what you are after. Fish can be very wary if you have thick line and huge sinkers. Hope you consider a few of these things, if you're not doing them already. Outside of that get out there and don't worry if things are slow. They can change very quickly. Good luck. Big Neil

Hi mate thanks for the reply,i kno what your saying,alot of time and patience to get it right but i still keen to get some tips or hopefully follow some of you guys around 1 day and see how its done but thanks for the kind words blackfish angler

Rick another thing occurred to me. If you target the easiest fish to catch (Flathead and Bream)...have a look on youtube at how to go about it. Especially relating to berleying and where to fish. Then get out on the water and put it into practice. Good luck.

Hi Rick,

Congrats on the new boat sound like a great family fishing machine.  If you're new to fishing, perhaps consider going on a charter which operates in the areas you intend to fish.  You have invested a lot of money in a new boat and all the gear.  A few hundred for a day on the water with someone who knows what they are doing will be money well spent.  You will learn a lot about boat handling, gear, rigging, bait selection and fishing techniques in a very short time.  Well worth considering.  Or perhaps join a fishing club and get out with some like minded people who I'm sure would be happy top share their knowledge.  Good luck and I hope you and the family enjoy the new boat.  Cheers..........

Dave

13 hours ago, Rickstewart said:

Hi guys my name is rick im from western sydney,the family and i love fishing we have just purchased a brand new tomahawk 550 135hp honda and love to go fishing but as the saying goes "all the gear and no idea" haha,we have recently been on the harbour and also out in the hawkesbury using fresh bait always and we seem to spend hrs on the water not catching a thing,was hoping there was someone keen to explain or show us where we r going wrong

Any help would be great as we love fishing as a family but are pretty hopeless at it hahah

Thanks guys and awsum forum by the way

Hi Rick,

Congrats on the boat and I hope serves you well in the future.

First of all, do you have a chartplotter/fish finder? With a chartplotter, you can enter co-ordinates of places where people have had success and I know there is a section on the main page where you can get some of these co-ordinates to enter into your chartplotter.....this might help.

Also, couple of things to consider when targeting certain species. If you are targeting bream, look for structures closer to shore.

Whiting are predominantly a fish that like the sand. Also, look out for surface action where birds might be segregating as usually you will find a school of salmon or kings chasing live bait. Get close and cast small metal lures...try not to spook them. Even soft plastics are very good for this. When they're in a feeding frenzy, they chase anything and everything.

Hope this helps...

Hi sigma thanks for the kind words 

Yeah i do have a chartplotter fishfinder on the boat its a raymarine 7 pro,i have heard that i can type in coordinates on this raymarine but am still unsure how to do it as 95 percent of the instruction guide is in another language but i will google the model on the weekend and see if i can get better instructions for it.. 

Thanks also for your tips everything is very helpful guys thanks again

Hi Rick & welcome ..I too fish regularly with the family , Wife + 3 kids . I often fish Botany As it usually produces fish & keeps the family busy . Your more than welcome to tag along one day with your boat & family , And I'll be more than happy to show you around including rigs & methods that i use . Just shoot me a PM & we'll organise a Family Day out ....

On 10/31/2016 at 3:17 PM, Rickstewart said:

Hello 4myson that sounds tops mate we would enjoy tagging along and getting some spots and some tips mate thankyou,uhhh not sure how to pm if if someone could explain how to do it thanks guys

Click on his photo in the post above yours. Then click on the message icon. Type in ur message and walla. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick.

Maybe able to assist. PM me with your mobile details to talk and if suits. you could tag along when I take the mates kids out on the harbour. I mainly fish deep offshore but do the odd Sunday with mates kids 11-5 yr olds, So if your kids in that range then spots are suitable for their  level/ safety etc .We leave from Wharf Rd Rydalmere these days known as Melrose Park, but basically closest decent boat ramp with a Parra river launch leading to harbour west of Sydney. To have a chance on serious fish you need to be at the various bait stations round the harbour around Sun up. 

Hi Rick, Welcome to Fishraider! :D I have been in many cases when there are no fish appearing after a whole day's worth of fishing. I guess it's why it's called fishing. If you see a school of salmon, make sure to turn off the motor (salmon HATE noise)!

Thanks, amberjack out!

• 2 weeks later...