Dual Battery Dilemma

billthedrill

Hey people

So I've pulled up the floor on my 2005 tabs territory pro centre console as I was curious to see what's down there. I plan on installing a second battery, freshwater deckwash/bladder and some new electronics soon and need access so I thought it would be a good time. I'm thinking of putting dual batteries under the floor... but this is going to require some fabrication which I would prefer not to spend $$ on. I could always just slap the second battery in at the rear but it would have to be slapped in elongated and half the battery will stick out. I'm a bit particular when it comes to having things neat and tidy. 

I havnt taken measurements yet but I'm hoping I could fit a smaller 12v battery next to my current battery to run electronics. The only issue is ive always thought the idea of having a second battery (apart from running electronics that might drain your battery) was to have the ability to crank the motor if the first one fails, and the battery im looking at as an auxiliary to fit at he rear of the deck is a marine pro 580. My motor is a 115hp Suzuki and I don't think the smaller marine pro is rated to crank motors that size. 

Any suggestions on this? I've attached a photo of the floor up to give an indication of the layout under the floor. The current battery is visible on the left hand side of the rear. 

(excuse the disgusting floor in the pic it actually came up pretty nice after a vacuum and a hose)

IMG_0835.JPG

The cranking amps for your motor is your starting point. generally the number relates to that, Cold Cranking Amps. so a Marine Pro 580 is 580CCA. If you have the space bigger is better. Personally I would not put a lead acid battery under deck. Unless you modify the deck somehow to vent the battery. All batteries vent gases when they charge, a hydrogen bomb under the deck wouldn't be my choice. I did time in a battery shop and had a battery explode in my face one day whilst charging it, not a fun time.

Personally I would just up the size of your current battery.

16 hours ago, billthedrill said:

Hey people

So I've pulled up the floor on my 2005 tabs territory pro centre console as I was curious to see what's down there. I plan on installing a second battery, freshwater deckwash/bladder and some new electronics soon and need access so I thought it would be a good time. I'm thinking of putting dual batteries under the floor... but this is going to require some fabrication which I would prefer not to spend $$ on. I could always just slap the second battery in at the rear but it would have to be slapped in elongated and half the battery will stick out. I'm a bit particular when it comes to having things neat and tidy. 

I havnt taken measurements yet but I'm hoping I could fit a smaller 12v battery next to my current battery to run electronics. The only issue is ive always thought the idea of having a second battery (apart from running electronics that might drain your battery) was to have the ability to crank the motor if the first one fails, and the battery im looking at as an auxiliary to fit at he rear of the deck is a marine pro 580. My motor is a 115hp Suzuki and I don't think the smaller marine pro is rated to crank motors that size. 

Any suggestions on this? I've attached a photo of the floor up to give an indication of the layout under the floor. The current battery is visible on the left hand side of the rear. 

(excuse the disgusting floor in the pic it actually came up pretty nice after a vacuum and a hose)

IMG_0835.JPG

Can you mount the second battery above floor somewhere Perhaps up front with extended battery cables running underfloor to feed it?Up the battery capacity?Fit a 12v motorcycle battery next to the engine battery to run the electronics and keep the main battery solely for the engine?There's a few options but try to keep easy access to them and the ventilation up.

15 hours ago, Swampgecko said:

The cranking amps for your motor is your starting point. generally the number relates to that, Cold Cranking Amps. so a Marine Pro 580 is 580CCA. If you have the space bigger is better. Personally I would not put a lead acid battery under deck. Unless you modify the deck somehow to vent the battery. All batteries vent gases when they charge, a hydrogen bomb under the deck wouldn't be my choice. I did time in a battery shop and had a battery explode in my face one day whilst charging it, not a fun time.

Personally I would just up the size of your current battery.

I had a battery explode when I mistakenly connected the jumper leads I was using the wrong way around causing a spark to help a stranded motorist out.

I was covered in battery acid and immediately jumped in the creek nearby fully clothed.How I didn't cop it in the eyes is beyond me.

All that was found from that battery where the two battery posts still attached to the battery cables on the car.