Fishing in Fiji Islands

Mojo4fishin

hey guys, so finally we have booked for a holiday to Fiji in the last from lat Jan to early Feb 2017, during this time we are staying in both SUVA and Nadi ( Denarau Island ) over the 14 days.

I'm planning to do a lot of fishing as the wife also likes fishing :) we are also planning to do a couple of days trips to the island etc to relax, but i would also pack a rod and reel (or a few rod's and reel's ).

i would appreciate if you can give me advised of the following and if you can recommend any good charter company or person that we can get in contact with to arrange trips  etc ( Pm is fine for contact detials or i can give a email address ) 

i don't have a large collection of gear but Im happy to buy some if needed, i was wondering what sort of gear i should take with us.

i was thinking of  ---

2 x 4000 series reels with 20lb line  and a rods to suit? 

i have a daiwa bait castor with a 3pc rod, which is perfect for traveling but I'm not sure if i should take this with me.

as for any sp's should i take some, or any lures etc? I'm not sure what to pack actually LOL

please help.

any advise will be greatly appriciated.

regards

Mojo

Hey Mojo,

Denarau Island is great.  I've passed through there quite a few times on my way to Kadavu to go fishing and there are heaps of great resorts to hang out at.  Make sure you go have lunch or dinner at the Hilton while you are there. 

While fishing at Denerau isnt really allowed a charter would probably be a good idea to get amongst the action.  Usually late Jan and early Feb they get a run of decent (to very decent) yellowfin - but it is all in the timing.  I usually go around Australia Day and I have missed it 2 out of 4 times (and just by a week or two).  If you could get on a charter throwing poppers/stickbaits at these you would not be disappointed.  You might have to go up to 50lb gear though.

I know some of the islands are OK with you doing a bit of shore based fishing.  You get little GTs and Bluefin trevally coming up into the shallows harassing bait.  20lb gear would be fine for this.  Definately pack some little stickbaits (like 70mm & 95mm Sugapen) and some poppers around the same size.

If going shore based fishing in Fiji I've found it's generally best to ask first if it is OK to fish in that area.  Also talk to some of the resort watersports guys that hang out on the beach - I've had some offer to set me up with a local with a boat, although I have never taken them up on the offer.

Hope this helps you!

David

We were in Fiji in 2013 for my son's wedding, staying on Denarau Island. I did a little fishing off the beach, off a nice little rock spit, and pulled up a couple of 35-40 cm Trevally on Squidgy wrigglers.

We also went out on a charter with a local operator on a nice Blackwatch 25 vessel. Fairly basic but pretty organised and they picked us up and dropped us off on the beach in front of our resort which was ultra convenient. We didn't have too much luck but that was as much due to the passengers as the skipper!

PM me if you want the contact details.

One thing I noted is that most of their rods were rigged for left handers, and although I am a right hand fisherman, I write left handed, so I volunteered to use one. I was ok with it but unpracticed, however better than the others. An inconvenience however. In future I plan to take a reasonable right hand reel with me so I can swap that out for the trip at worst. Their equipment was ok but nothing special, so my Okuma with 30lb Braid would have been a reasonable swap.

Their reels were all pretty under-spooled, which didn't really help casting either. So perhaps use their rods but take a decent reel as a backup.

Edited by brad_tate

• 3 weeks later...

HI David,

Thank you very much for the response and sorry it has taken to so long to reply back.

we are booked in from the 31/01 to the 07/02 in Nadi so i will suss out some options whilst still here and maybe book a charter or two... all pending the costs etc.

i will pack some poppers and stick baits along with a reel that has 80lb braid. along with the bags. I'm sure a extra rod and reel won't hurt.

cheers again

Mojo

On 16/11/2016 at 6:10 PM, brad_tate said:

We were in Fiji in 2013 for my son's wedding, staying on Denarau Island. I did a little fishing off the beach, off a nice little rock spit, and pulled up a couple of 35-40 cm Trevally on Squidgy wrigglers.

We also went out on a charter with a local operator on a nice Blackwatch 25 vessel. Fairly basic but pretty organised and they picked us up and dropped us off on the beach in front of our resort which was ultra convenient. We didn't have too much luck but that was as much due to the passengers as the skipper!

PM me if you want the contact details.

One thing I noted is that most of their rods were rigged for left handers, and although I am a right hand fisherman, I write left handed, so I volunteered to use one. I was ok with it but unpracticed, however better than the others. An inconvenience however. In future I plan to take a reasonable right hand reel with me so I can swap that out for the trip at worst. Their equipment was ok but nothing special, so my Okuma with 30lb Braid would have been a reasonable swap.

Their reels were all pretty under-spooled, which didn't really help casting either. So perhaps use their rods but take a decent reel as a backup.

Thanks Brad.

i have also been talking to some people i work with and they are telling me to take decent reels and use the roads that have etc.

all of the reels that i have are all egg beaters and not over head reels, will this be a issue?

will send you a PM also.

Cheers

Mojo

• 3 weeks later...