How long will bait stay fresh?

Fufu

Hi all

I was planning on hitting the beach early Sunday morning (13/11/16) but I was too buggered and decided to leave it for another day

I bought some fresh pilchards on Saturday (12/11/16) and I still have them in my freezer

My question is, how long can I freeze them before they are no longer deemed "fresh"?

I didn't buy much. 400g for $6. Might be easier to use them as berley?

Just wanted to know everyone's opinion

Fufu

1 hour ago, SaltyStick said:

mate, my experience is, you can keep them fresh as long as it is frozen, once you defrost they will never be fresh.

Oh ok. I figured that would be the case

47 minutes ago, UnderFisher said:

You can keep them for months. Obviously the fresher the better, but I've used 6month Frozen pillies before. I've also refrozen thawed pillies and used them again (I'm a bit tight). They tend to rot from the belly but are still usable. 

After "re-using" the bait, you guys still had success with them?

50 minutes ago, UnderFisher said:

Yes, they don't stick to the hook as well, but they work unless the fish are real fussy.

Oh ok. I've thought about salting them but I've been told, while they stick better to the hook, they tend to lose their appeal to the fish. 

Is this true?

I was told an alternative to this would be to use that bait keeping string/cotton (not sure what it's called)

Salted pillys toughen them up considerably and you'll get multiple casts out of them especially if your chasing Fish like tailor from the beaches on ganged hooks.

I use pool salt to salt my pillys and fish fillets as I have a pool and it works out cheaper than butchers salt.

You still catch fish on them if the fish are around.

I cut the pillys up into either cubes or use the head or tail section if I'm not using them whole.

When cutting them in half,cut them on a 45 deg angle to expose as much flesh and juices as possible.

Edited by Fab1

6 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Salted pillys toughen them up considerably and you'll get multiple casts out of them especially if your chasing Fish like tailor from the beaches on ganged hooks.

I use pool salt to salt my pillys and fish fillets as I have a pool and it works out cheaper than butchers salt.

You still catch fish on them if the fish are around.

I cut the pillys up into either cubes or use the head or tail section if I'm not using them whole.

When cutting them in half,cut them on a 45 deg angle to expose as much flesh and juices as possible.

And you found that salted bait was just as effective as un-salted?

7 hours ago, Fufu said:

And you found that salted bait was just as effective as un-salted?

I actually find it better as it's a tougher bait once salted and doesn't get torn off the hook/s as easily when cast and dragged along the bottom if drift fishing.

I find it avoids pickers better than fresh giving the bigger fish more time to find your bait.

I would use fresh pillys along with a salted batch,fish with both for a few outings then make up your own mind which you prefer as we all have preferences different to each other.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I actually find it better as it's a tougher bait once salted and doesn't get torn off the hook/s as easily when cast and dragged along the bottom if drift fishing.

I find it avoids pickers better than fresh giving the bigger fish more time to find your bait.

I would use fresh pillys along with a salted batch,fish with both for a few outings then make up your own mind which you prefer as we all have preferences different to each other.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice

I definitely will give both a shot