Relocating Battery

shakey55

I have a current shape Seafarer V-Sea with 115hp Johnson (2 stroke).  It's a big motor and a little heavy in the rear.

I want to install a second battery for electrics and backup starter if ever needed.

My question is - as this will ad further weight to rear, what are the experts thoughts on relocating both batteries (the old and the new) and putting them inside/under the seats (1 each side) in the cuddy area.

My thoughts are will lighten up the rear a little and change weight distribution in the boat.

THOUGHTS

If the second battery is only intended as an emergency back up why not look into the new style of jump packs.

I bought one for around  $180 holds charge for around 12 months, weighs about 700 grams, the size of a dvd case, rated to around 600cc from memory, charges phones laptops etc as well, %100 portable , great for camping trips.

If you do go duel battery be mindful of the increased vibrations, bumps the batteries will endure the further towards the bow. Old school lead plate batteries dont do well getting knocked around. The new spiral weave batteries are fine to cope with this but are expensive. 

On 16/11/2016 at 9:17 AM, Raymondo said:

If the second battery is only intended as an emergency back up why not look into the new style of jump packs.

I bought one for around  $180 holds charge for around 12 months, weighs about 700 grams, the size of a dvd case, rated to around 600cc from memory, charges phones laptops etc as well, %100 portable , great for camping trips.

If you do go duel battery be mindful of the increased vibrations, bumps the batteries will endure the further towards the bow. Old school lead plate batteries dont do well getting knocked around. The new spiral weave batteries are fine to cope with this but are expensive. 

Thanks for the replies gents.  I didn't think about the increased vibrations, etc.

I intend the second battery to be used for electronics, radio, and emergency if needed.

What are your thoughts on the added weight of a second battery down the rear 

a battery weighs around 20kg so maybe there is something else you can store up the front like spare fuel, water and esky with ice.  In the grand scheme of things, I don't know if having an extra 20KG at the back will make a big difference.

If it doesn't then you got other issues. The other thing to remember is that if your battery does go up front, you need some pretty big cables so that you can start the engine off it. 

I have two batteries down the back, and when I had my 120HP Looper engine on it, it sat down pretty low, but now with a lighter ETEC, its pretty good. For me, the batteries are out of the way, although its a pain to try and work on them. Pretty much they just sit there.

The weight of another battery anywhere in the boat shouldn't be an issue, if your boat is that sensitive to weight chances are it's already over loaded. Proper distribution of weight is easily achieved by trial and error. Make small adjustments and take note of the outcome. Live loads such as your over weight loud mouth mate (we all have em) propose the greatest risk to your boats balance. Grab something of similar weight, trow it in the rear where the proposed battery will be and go for a run. See how she goes. If you have an issue it will be most prominent whilst drifting in open water.

I have a 50AH yellow battery at the rear and 2 off 20AH batteries on either side of the boat, under the covers, at the front. The front batteries run the radios, winch,sounder, lights and others with a change over switch separating the front and rear batteries in the middle. Spreads the weight great.