42cm Bream & Whiting

jdanger

Hit our usual at Hen and Chicken last Sunday before heading to Narrabeen for an afternoon session. Hit the water around 630, a couple of hours before the high. Despite a few tailor busting up, things were very quiet until the tide began to run out. The three of us pulled double figures of mostly small fish over the next couple of hours with plenty of small flathead to 40cm amongst a scattering of bream.

I found my best fish up in the canal whilst the other two had as much fun at the mouth. Nick then showed us what it was all about by scoring his PB 42cm horse of a bream, mere metres from where I got dusted a few weeks prior.

C called it a day so the remaining two of us headed to what turned out to be a very windy Narrabeen Lakes. Despite the blasting wind in our faces, we found ourselves quickly hooked up to a pair of small but respectable bream. Things soon got a bit tougher but as we worked out way along the weed beds, we slowly but surely piled the numbers on the board with more small bream, flathead and whiting added to the catch. Biggest flatty went 50cm, whiting went 29 and bream around 25. The flathead and whiting never made it home.

The wind had stirred the water and sand up like crazy which meant that most were caught very close to shore and often at our feet. Z-Man grubs in bloodworm did pretty much all the damage, and we left them biting just before sundown, leaving my partner in crime in the bad books :action-smiley-073:

Despite the grief, we got our papers in order and managed another quick Bayview flick this afternoon. We found a number of just legal bream in the canals and again continued the fun into the runout with flathead to 45-ish and bream to 27. The hardbodies accounted for most of the fish until Nick once again put on a show with the Zman, pulling in this 42cm torpedo of a whiting. 

whiting.png

Not wanting to tempt fate, we pulled the pin upon release and left on a high.

Cheers guys.

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great report(s) and what a monster of a whiting...bream too. Mind if I ask for a bit more detail of what set up you use for the hard body lures? Is it the same as for the sp's? How deep are they going? Cheers, BN

We travel light so same setup for both plastics and hards. I've got a Daiwa TD Commander Tiger Division which is a 7'6" 1-3kg rod and a Pflueger Supreme XTS2000 reel. Nick's got a Nitro which is a bit shorter, 7' I think, also 1-3kg with a Luvias 2004.

Both running 6lb J-Braid and a couple rod lengths of 4lb leader.

Depth depends on the lure as we use a mix of shallow, mid and deep runners, but we're never really fishing more than 1.5m, and normally closer to 0.5-1m deep.

7 hours ago, jdanger said:

Cheers guys.

We travel light so same setup for both plastics and hards. I've got a Daiwa TD Commander Tiger Division which is a 7'6" 1-3kg rod and a Pflueger Supreme XTS2000 reel. Nick's got a Nitro which is a bit shorter, 7' I think, also 1-3kg with a Luvias 2004.

Both running 6lb J-Braid and a couple rod lengths of 4lb leader.

Depth depends on the lure as we use a mix of shallow, mid and deep runners, but we're never really fishing more than 1.5m, and normally closer to 0.5-1m deep.

Thanks for replying guys. Love your work...keep 'em coming. BN