Double Bay 20/11/16

Noldty

Hey,

This is my first report. Been along time reader and have learnt a lot from reading various reports over the last year. 

This morning decided to head head down to double bay and see if I could catch a kingfish. It has been a few years since I last caught myself a kingfish. Last summer I lost a few under various wharfs I fished around the harbour so I was keen to start this summer off on the right foot. 

I packed my bag and went down to the wharf. My plan was to not buy any bait and try to catch some squid and if that did not work throw some plastics and surface lures around. I arrived around 5:30 in the morning and conditions looked amazing. I rigged up a squid jig quickly to see if there were any squid around. Second cast I got a great bait size squid. So I quickly rigged up the rod I brought for the kingfish. I was using a 7ft 6-10kg rod with a 4000 reel spooled with 15lb main line and tied  20lb fluorocarbon leader with double uni knot. 

I decided to use a single hook since the squid was not to big. So I quickly threw the squid out and went back to see if I could manage any other squid. I quickly got two more squid and then they seemed to disappear. I took the squid jig off and threw around a surface lure. Over the next hour not much happened and I changed the lures I was using and nothing was touching the squid. It was about 6:30 when my rod with the squid started to scream. I went over to hook the fish and nothing. The hook came back empty.

Feeling a little disappointed but still having two squid I thought if I quickly get another one out there who never know the fish might still be out there. I decided to change my approach and re rigged and put two hooks on. I threw the squid out and it must of been in the water 10min and the line was screaming again. I ran over and hooked the fish and straight away I could feel the weight and the rod a nice bend in it. It a good strong run and I was everntually able to get some pressure on it and turn the fishes head. It took a few more runs and each one was just as strong. I soon had it near the wharf and saw the king fish coming up. It was heading up to the surface and it took a run down towards the bottom of the wharf. I quickly put my hand on the spool and was not going to give it anything and luckily I was able to turn the fish again and once again I had the fish on the surface. It tried to run again but it did not get to far. Thank goodness there was someone else fishing on the wharf and the grabbed my net and was able to net it for me. 

It measured 66cm and I was over the moon. Finally landing a kingfish. After that there was not much happening. I put out the other squid and threw around some plastics but nothing. I decided to call it about 8:30 and headed home 

Noldty 

Great effort. You make it sound easy with that report.

In the past few weeks I've bought a new setup for targeting my first kingie but still no luck, just about able to catch the squid and yakkas let alone the kingfish.

This week after work I'm planning on catching some squid, keeping them as fresh as I can and hopefully getting out there for the tide change after work hours. Its reassuring to know that both the squid and kingies are around at the moment.