Surface Bream

Ocean Addiction

I had a bit of time up my sleeve yesterday so decided to get the boat wet.  Headed out to some of my favouite flats in the harbour to see if the topwater bream and whiting were willing to play. 

The weather was pretty spectacular in the morning (maybe a bit too warm). 

20161122_Boatramp.jpg

Skimming unweighted plastics across the surface that looked like a fleeing prawn I managed 14 ok to decent bream for the day.  There were plenty of interested whiting around as well.  Despite stacks of whiting hits they all missed.  Worm hooks are terrible for catching whiting but I love just watching them chase the lure all the way back to the boat! 

20161122_Bream.jpg

There were plagues of little tailor around which started to eat into my plastic supplies.  Even when they are cleanly hooked they seem to bleed over everything and make a real mess!!!

20161122_Tailor.jpg

To round the day out I saw some dolphins under Gladesville bridge on the way home which was a pretty great way to end the day. 

David

Looks like you had a great session.

I absolutely love fishing surface plastics and for more whiting I rig my lure this way. This rig has the hooks set way further back than a weedless hook and better exposed.

Thread your leader through the plastic with a large needle and tie on a double hook then slide the shank of the hook back into the lure. Note the hooks ride points down, they act like a keel and help stop the lure spinning when retrieved.

The only negative is it does catch weed if there's a lot floating around.

20140924-Pink Grub.jpg

12 hours ago, papafish said:

great one! how does surface bream targeting works?? i never tried and never thought bream will come up to the surface and hit on a SP lol, is the water shallow?

Pretty shallow - all of them would have come from less than 1m of water.  At the right time of year bream and whiting are very keen to hit a surface lure.  Some of them aren't small either!

22 minutes ago, Ocean Addiction said:

Is that a grass minnow Green Hornet?   Do you find you loose more rigs to tailor by having the line running through the plastic?

Tailors go for the tails first so he won't be losing rigs, you'll lose the tails which can be replaced with a bit of alfoil ?

3 hours ago, Ocean Addiction said:

Is that a grass minnow Green Hornet?   Do you find you loose more rigs to tailor by having the line running through the plastic?

Yeah mate, a grass minnow.

I fish them over the shallow breaks between the ribbon weed and don't encounter many tailor at all. They tend to hang more on the drop off into the deeper water.

On 11/23/2016 at 4:57 PM, Ocean Addiction said:

Pretty shallow - all of them would have come from less than 1m of water.  At the right time of year bream and whiting are very keen to hit a surface lure.  Some of them aren't small either!

thats interesting!!!! if your helping out again in the near future and i got the time~ tag me along hehe. i'll be your decki for the day :)

20 hours ago, papafish said:

thats interesting!!!! if your helping out again in the near future and i got the time~ tag me along hehe. i'll be your decki for the day :)

I'm in the same school of thought. I would bother trying for bream on surface lures in any water over a metre deep. A sand flat around 2ft deep with scattered weed is prime pickings.