Spin reel choice

Kingy fisho

Hello everybody,

I need a new 4000 size spin reel and was tossing between a shimano cazna and a daiwa laguna. These are only cheep reels but was wondering if anyone had used them and what were their experiences. I am looking for a reel a step up from the sienna.

Thanks for the reply, 

You are correct in assuming I meant the sienna fd. I'm a little confused in regards to what makes the fe better than the fd. On paper the fd beats the fe as they have equal specs apart for the amount of bearings where the fd has 3+1 and the fe has 1+1. I know that a reel can have 10 bearings and still be worse than a 1 bearing reel but both being small shimano reels I assume that they have standardised parts which would mean the fd having more bearings would be superior in terms of smoothness. And also what is the main difference between a cazna and a sienna? I felt a cazna at a shop and it felt a little heavier (more metal?). Do you have experience with the Sedona. It seems to be quite a solid little reel. There is probably a logical answer regarding the sienna fe. It would be greatly appreciated if you could clear that up.

Yes you right in saying bearing numbers isnt all that matters. From memory the cazna shares the same body as the Sienna FD but has 1 or more bearings that the Sienna has bushings in place

The Sedona FE and Sienna FE also share the same body with more or less bearings and maybe different gear ratios and different paint jobs.

I personally didnt like the Sienna FD as it has too much play in the handle. I dont have much experience with either reels but i did have a Aernos Fb and Symetre FL which also share same bodys with more/less bearings and different gear ratios. And to me they were value for money reels

I have a cazna and a sienna (both in 2500) there isn't a great deal of difference between the 2 the cazna has 2 handle bearings where the sienna has bushes, the cazna has taken a lot more punishment and I have only serviced it once n the last year

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:28 AM, Kingy fisho said:

Thanks to the replies, 

does anyone have any experience with the smaller, budget daiwas? Such as the laguna 4000?

haven't owned one but haven't heard anything positive from those that have