2 Stroke Or 4

Sharky

Hey all

Im looking around for a car topper for me and the girly's around Aus trip and what im stuck on is

the best type of outboard to get a 2 stroke or 4 stoke? The tinny will be around 3.2-3.5 meters

something light. I would love a 4 stroke as they are really quiet and i plan to be doing alot of trolling up north

and there also good with fuel. My reservations came when i was told by a boat dealer that 4 strokes cant be

layed down in the back of a car because the oil settles on one side and they have starting problems is this

correct??? Up north i do not want to have engine failure in crock infested waters, Are 2 stokes more

relaible?? ive been told you can lie them on there side the reservation i have about 2 strokes is the noise

im keen to have a decent crack at as many barra as i can get and plan to working at bullo station for 4

months if i can get the job.

I guess one of my questions is has anyone been on a barra trip where there were 2 tinnys one with

with a 2 stroke and one with a 4 stoke did one outfish the other?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks

I have also heard that leaving motors on their side isn't too good, but wouldn't it make sense to just stand the outboard vertically for a while before using it, that way the oil is again in all the right places? I would go the 4 stroke.

told by a boat dealer that 4 strokes cant be

layed down in the back of a car because the oil settles on one side and they have starting problems is this

correct???

I reckon thats a bit of a fallacy from a dealer that probably doesn't have too many 4 strokes in stock! :wacko:

If you have a look at most of the newer outboards in the portable range, you will see that they have little "humps" or legs on one side of the cowling. This is designed to be the side that the motor is layed on when stored flat. A lot of the 4 strokes are developed for the American market, and a big thing for the Yanks is to "winterise" their motors. They are stored for the winter period, and normally laid flat. All it would mean is that you would wait a few minutes for the oil to settle before starting!

Will you have a box trailer or camper on your trip? I have seen a few trailers with mounting posts on the front of the trailer, between the back of the car and the front of the trailer, for mounting outboards. Hell I have even seen them mounted to bullbars, :1yikes: but I don't think thats legal! That would also negate the need to lay it flat, and would make it easier to move, rather than trying to dead lift it out of the boot of a car or similar. :thumbup:

We are not going to have a trailer or a camper were doing the trip as budget as we can swags and what not im going to buy a tarp to run from the roof racks for shade and a place to shelter from the rain i havnt even bought a 4 x 4 yet but were in the market for one .We are thinking a landcruiser 1985 -1989 modle will do the trick but the only hard thing is to find one in good nick, i found a great one just like my dads that looked great for $5000 but when i took it to my mechanic to see what it needed to get done for a blue slip he said it would cost $4000 to fix her up i was devistated but were not leaving for 5 months so im sure ill find something we just need to shop around.

Sharky,

Just out of pure fluke I stumbled across a UK site the other day about RIB's, I'll see if I can find the link. But there was a thread about a 4 stroke dying due to being laid on its side - rest of the thread was storys of the same. Apparently the crank cas oil can leak into the cylinders when they are laid flat, or even tilted up on the boat for too long. the small portable 4 strokes supposedly are designed to be laid on a certain side but that didnt help in this case.

The motor in question was a 4hp yamaha I think

Adrian

this one is easy if you are on a tight budget go the two stroke, if you want your boat to go as fast as possible as you will need up north in those croc infested waters that you speak of go the two stroke. this will also help with dealing with the big tides you will encounter up north. the two stroke is LIGHTER, FASTER and CHEAPER just my opion.

Gaven :1prop:

• 2 weeks later...

I WENT BACK IN 91 WITH A 10FT TINNY AND 9.9 2STROKE ALSO ENDED UP FISHING WITH A 3030 IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT CAN BE QUITE INTIMIDATING SEEING 14FT CROC 5FT FROM A 10FT BOAT WITH A FEW BARRA IN IT

WE ONLY CAUGHT 5 DECENT BARRA IN TWO MONTHS PLENTY OF OTHER FISH OUT IN THE GULF THOUGH

IF I WERE YOU ID FIND A GUIDE LOCAL KNOWLEDGE IS THE KEY AS IM SURE IT WASNT THE 2STROKE FRIGHTENING ALL THE FISH AWAY

HAVE A GREAT TRIP AND DONT PANIC MY LANDCRUISER ONLY COST ME $4500 82 MODEL TROOP CARRIER AND I DID 300000KS IN HER FOR THE COST OF A WATER PUMP NEVER WORRIED ABOUT ALL THE THINGS MECHANICS WANTED TO FIX JUST GET A DIESEL AND CHANGE OIL EVERY 5000KS